Peer Review by Suri Purefoy (United States)

The Significance of Being There

By: -annie rooks

People change. But contrary to popular misconception, people don't change when they're with others, they change when they're alone. When they're in the shower and the water knocks on their elbows and crashes on their shoulders. They change when the water rushes through their hair and forces out the shampoo, as it clunks their skull and presses itself against their hairline. They change in those moments, when they're deciding who they want to be, not when they are that person. Then it's already too late for them to revert back. By then they're gone. 
     They change when they are lying in the deepest dark, through the layers of blackness their eyelids shield them from. When they are isolated in the warm blankets that soothe them. When the coziness of night cascades over them. They change when their mind drifts and wanders down an unfollowed trail until they are up all night trying to get back to where they came from. People change in the nicest of times. When they've made the decision to change themself, they're already lost. They're already different. They're already changed. So when people change, at of what seems like nowhere, don't feel like you should've been there in the bad times, because that was just the aftermath, the outcome, the repurcussion to a better time. A happier time. A nicer time. Think about how you should've been there for the good times. Because that's when the wheels are turning. That's when they're contemplating just how much they like their current life and how much they need to change it. The measurements of the alterations are being taken so be careful with your words, your actions, your presence. Be there when it's good, and try and keep it that way. And then, maybe just maybe, people might start to change for the better instead.

No additional comments.