ollieollie

Um......hi

Over the past year, I defeated a fear of other people, learned the value of clarity and brevity, fought writer's block, and developed pride in my words.

Now I am a writer with a love for onomatopoeias and an affinity for semicolons.

I wrote these almost two years ago, at the end of my 8th grade year. I came across them recently, and wanted to make them better. However, because they are actually memories of mine, revising them was almost impossible. I know that the writing is very unpolished, and I would be grateful for any input you have to offer. Putting it plainly, I am asking for your help.
Thank you!

A Memory - 10 of 10

0
    Gavin dominated the black market at their school. Students were forbidden from selling stuff to other students, but that didn’t stop some from trying. If you wanted a homemade cookie or Mexican candy, all you had to do was ask the right person and have a dollar in change on you to get it. Gavin’s specialty was Sour Punch straws. Charging 25 cents for four, he was making upwards at ten bucks a day. Everyone else got caught at some point or another, but Gavin somehow managed to stay off the grid. So if anyone ever wanted candy in the middle of class, they knew who to ask, but he never gave anything away for free.
    Everyone was festive the last week before winter break. Ally had a different obnoxious sweater for every day, and Vincent chose random moments throughout the day to start belting out a very off-key Christmas carol. On the last day, Grace handed out candy canes.
    The bell rang with a cheer from everyone, Ms. Ortiz included. Grace was packing up when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to see Grace holding out a red Sour Punch straw.
    “Here. Merry Christmas.”
    She smiled at him. “Thanks, Gavin. Have a good break.”
    “You too.”
    Later, when she was walking out with Ally and Claire, she pulled it out of her pocket. She didn’t want it to melt.
Claire raised an eyebrow. “Where’d you get that?”
    “Oh, Gavin gave it to me at the end of class.”
    Ally elbowed her, a teasing smile starting to spread across her face. “You know, he never just gives those away. I always wondered why you guys were always arguing, but hey, opposites attract…"
    “Shut up.”
    Ally and Claire had a new topic to tease Grace about. She stared at the strip of red in her palm.

• July 31, 2017 - 1:00am (Now Viewing)