ollieollie

Um......hi

Over the past year, I defeated a fear of other people, learned the value of clarity and brevity, fought writer's block, and developed pride in my words.

Now I am a writer with a love for onomatopoeias and an affinity for semicolons.

I wrote these almost two years ago, at the end of my 8th grade year. I came across them recently, and wanted to make them better. However, because they are actually memories of mine, revising them was almost impossible. I know that the writing is very unpolished, and I would be grateful for any input you have to offer. Putting it plainly, I am asking for your help.
Thank you!

A Memory - 7 of 10

0
    Their English class had a tradition. Whenever Ms. Ortiz was gone and they had a sub, she would leave a topic on the board for an hour long debate. The students would get ten minutes to research the topic and choose a position before the arguing started. Whether it be on GMOs or the tuitions for college basketball players, the debate was expected to last until the bell rang. The two students most excited by this exercise were Grace and Gavin.
    Grace ended up sitting in the back corner with Gavin and Vincent. While all Vincent did was ask to borrow her pens, her and Gavin worked fairly well together. Able to discuss without going into a full-fledged heated argument, they got their work done quickly and thoroughly. That is, until the debates started.
    Maybe it was the extent of the information in their heads, maybe it was just that they both liked to hear the sound of their own voices, but they both dominated the discussion whenever Ms. Ortiz was absent. They chose opposite opinions for the first debate, and after that deliberately chose different sides every time just so they could argue with each other. Sure, other people had points to make, but most of the class was content to sit back and be entertained.
    “See, but if we use genetic modification to completely eliminate hereditary diseases, then we are able to make our society stronger and healthier as a whole, without bad genes being passed down from parent to child.”
    “But do you realize what that would do to the economy? You would be making one of the highest paying professions almost completely void, causing thousands of people to be out of a job.”
    “The cost of the procedures would cover all of it and fill the gap, which would…”
    “I guess that’s true but…”
    It was endless. And they both enjoyed it. Because even after the bell rang and their groups of friends were trying to get them to stop, they would still be arguing as they walked out the classroom door.

• July 31, 2017 - 12:56am (Now Viewing)