ollieollie

Um......hi

Over the past year, I defeated a fear of other people, learned the value of clarity and brevity, fought writer's block, and developed pride in my words.

Now I am a writer with a love for onomatopoeias and an affinity for semicolons.

I wrote these almost two years ago, at the end of my 8th grade year. I came across them recently, and wanted to make them better. However, because they are actually memories of mine, revising them was almost impossible. I know that the writing is very unpolished, and I would be grateful for any input you have to offer. Putting it plainly, I am asking for your help.
Thank you!

A Memory - 2 of 10

0
    Dominik and the short haired girl were standing next to a tree. The early June heat was almost unbearable, and the shade provided by the tree’s skimpy branches didn’t do much to stop the oppressive sunlight. The two were standing in front of a house neighboring to their school, and were standing just inside the border of the property. They watched as the stream of students flowed past them down the sidewalk, all heading to who knows where. The girl groaned.
    “Dom,” she said. “We’ve been standing here for ten minutes. She probably forgot and is already at Starbucks waiting for us to show up.”
    He shook his head. “Ally always walks down with us. Always. It’s a tradition.”
    “If she’s not here in the next twenty seconds, I’m leaving, whether you’re coming or not.”
    The seconds rolled by. The girl was looking more and more annoyed, and the boy more and more disappointed.
“Welp. I’m outta here.” The girl started walking, her backpack bouncing as she got farther away.
    “Grace, wait.” She turned around to see Dom jogging towards her. “You’re right, she probably isn’t coming. Let’s just go.”
    Grace smiled.  “We’ll see her down there. She can never stand to go without talking to us for that long.”
    They walked down, the heat from the sun still bearing down on them.

• July 31, 2017 - 12:50am (Now Viewing)