Dsc 0263

AbigailSauble

Child of God
Pro-life
Photographer
Marine sister
Blogger
English Country Dancer
Dessert enthusiast
Sun-Child
Reader
Musician
Singer
Artist
ISFJ-A
Wind Chaser
Volleyball devotee
Movie quoter
Tea drinker
Airsofter
Cat lover
Youtuber

' "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD.' ~ Isaiah 54:10

Proud USMC sister!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"Most people never meet their heroes;
I grew up with mine." ♥

“And the one good thing about being down here, is that we’ll save on funeral expenses.” ~ Puddleglum (The Silver Chair)

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~ John F. Kennedy

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~ Winnie the Pooh

https://wheniwasanartist.blogspot.com/

No Place Like Home

2
Excitement was ramping up. We were going to the airport to pick up my brother, who'd gotten military leave. Contemporary Christian music played on the radio, but my mom, sister, and I barely heard it over the excitement in our hearts.
   Mom had been fussing over the house, glancing at the clock every minute, before we left for the hour-long ride to the Portland airport. The highway buzzed with morning traffic, everyone going somewhere. I could tell, by glancing over at my mom in the driver's seat, that she was hard put to bottle up her joy, to try concentrating on the busy road
   Clouds had covered the sky most of the morning, but now the sun peeked through, revealing blue sky behind it. Trees and houses mingled together to present an almost ironic urban-rural look. Long lines of vehicles wound up three lanes to our left. A large American flag blew true in the breeze above us. Filling the sky with red, white, and blue.
   Pride swelled up within me, and I couldn't hold back a smile. We were about to pick up one of the protectors of that flag in less than an hour. The constant sound of tires on the road, mingled with the gentle (or not so gentle) murmur of car engines, filled my ears. Mom groaned suddenly.
   "What?" My younger sister, Lenae, asked from the back seat, peering around me out the windshield. The orange signs glared at us, daring us to go faster than 25 mph. 
"Road work." Mom said, sighing.
   "It's okay." I reassured her, "That's why we left early, in case of any unforeseen circumstances."
"Right." Mom sighed again.
   Finally we got past the road work, going at 45 once again. Twenty minutes later, the big blue airport sign appeared, like a warm beacon.
"Almost there!" Mom beamed, her gray eyes lit up. Within minutes, the huge white airport came into view. I saw a plane take off. Mom found a parking space in the temporary parking, and we raced through the rotating door, making our way through the throngs of people. 
   Then we saw him.
   "Jacob!" Mom waved her arm. The handsome Marine, dressed in civilian clothes, smiled. Leaving his bags in a heap on the floor, he gathered us in a hug. 
"Hey guys." His voice sounded choked up. "It's good to be home."

1

• AbigailSauble

Yes. :) This story is completely true.
    Have a great day! God bless!

• Lone Warrior WWII

What a moving piece! Love it! Did one of your brothers come home recently?