Coffee

Sasha K. Lotnikee

Hello! I've moved to writetheworld.com/profiles/1668. Please check out and critique my writing there! :)

It's OK to Fail

To my future self,

It doesn't matter what I do in the future world; I have one simple wish: to make it a better place for the next generation to live. Whether it be a lawyer, who defends disadvantaged people, a scientist, who finds a cure for Alzheimer’s disease, or a writer, who will bless children with wonderful books, I hope that my life will support other people. I believe that I was born to be there for other people in need. Right now, I am part of a debate team, which will prepare me if my calling is to be a lawyer; my rigorous academic schedule, which highly specializes in math, will equip me with skills that are necessary to become a scientist. This wonderful Write the World program, along with my novel, develops the strength needed to pen great works.

I don't want to live in some fancy apartment in New York City, or a grand mansion which I've earned with my money. I want to live in the poorest patches in the city, where help is most needed. One of my personal heroes is Elizabeth Blackwell, who set her first hospital run by women doctors in the section of the city where all the slums were. It is the courage, determination, and her thoughtfulness to the poor that I most admire.

If I ever have children, I hope my they will grow up to be "beautiful, accomplished, and good; to be admired, loved, and respected, to have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send." (Marmee to her daughters; Little Women). "I'd rather see you as poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace." I also hope that they will one day do something that will make the future world a better place to live, that they will learn from the mistakes their mother makes, and realize that no one on Earth is perfect.

One important lesson that I have learned so far in life and hope I will remember is the fact that it's okay to fail. This is what one of my teachers told me one day in a class where I got an 80 on a test. I know that I might not be able to get a scholarship, go to a prestigious college, get a good job, have wonderful children, and live my ideal life. I know that it'll be okay if I fail my college classes, if I don't get a diploma, and I end up as an old, unmarried woman, cleaning bathrooms at a school. It's the fact that I've tried that really matters.

Although I do really hope I'll get into a good college and lead a meaningful life.

Sincerely,

S.K.L.