Acrystalpartridge

Crys Partridge

I've lived in three countries so far and hope to further travel the world in order to gain the depth I need for the stories I really want to write someday - the stories I'm practicing for now.

Any feedback is fine.

Other Religions

PROMPT: The Unknown

0
    I do not know much about being raised in other religions. In fact, up until a few years ago, I didn't know anybody who wasn't Christian. Living in a predominantly Muslim country changed that.
    I don't know what it's like to have to pray at certain times of the day, facing the right direction on a prayer mat, (what do the directionally challenged do if they're inside a building with no windows at prayer time?) and bowing my head to touch the ground. On a school trip, I came out of the bathroom and found my friend wearing a pretty scarf around her head, murmuring prayers, bowing, murmuring prayers, and bowing. That seems strange to me, but what about how I pray before meals? It's a certain time of the day and traditionally calls for a specific position: a bowed head, closed eyes, and folded hands. So in a way, I do know what it's like; I simply do it differently.
    On that same school trip, for one lunchtime, sandwich wraps were passed out to us. Some were chicken and some pork. One of the guys in my class was happily making his way through his wrap when someone pointed out to him he was eating pork, which is haram (not permisable to eat). Once he had told me he was terrible Muslim and didn't follow any of the rules, but he traded out his wrap anyway in possibly faked horror. I don't know what it's like to make sure I'm not eating certain things simply because I'm Christian. 
    I don't know what it's like to believe in multiple gods, maybe even choosing a favorite one to pray to the most. I asked a firmly atheist friend from a Hindu family if he ever believed in a god. He said yes - all of them - when he was little. Believing in "all the gods" didn't even occur to me until after he said it, even though he had talked about different gods (including sidekick gods) before. 
    I know so little about other religions that I don't know what to say about them. Catholicism, Buddism, Mormonism, animalistic religions, etc. I've only seen in movies or pictures or heard them mentioned. Sprinkle holy water on your head? Kiss a statue? What? I'll have to meet more people who do know what it's like so they can share that knowledge with me. I can only hope that what people in other religions know about me depends on what they've seen me do and heard me say, instead of depending on the media. If I depended on the media and believed I knew what it was like to be raised in other religions, I would have had far fewer friends.

2