Img 3505

Paige Morse

High school student, Asbury Park enthusiast | "Faith will be rewarded" -Bruce Springsteen

Best Movies on Netflix

0
Whether I am snowed in or have nothing to do on a Sunday afternoon, Netflix is always my essential go-to. I know that a lot of people use Netflix for TV shows, but there are many great movies available to watch anytime if you have a subscription. Here are my top recommendations.
10. Dirty Dancing (1987) Set in the ‘60s when families used to spend the entire summer at holiday camps, Dirty Dancing tells the story of a teenage girl named Baby(Jennifer Grey) who falls in love with the camp’s attractive dance instructor, Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayze). This movie is where the famous quote, “Nobody puts Baby in the corner” originates from. With an amazing motown soundtrack, Dirty Dancing is sure to please all audiences.
9. Rain Man (1988) In the Academy Award winner for Best Picture, Tom Cruise plays Charlie, a selfish man whose father, whom he never really got along with, has just died. He tries to inherit the large amount of money his father left, but discovers that the money is going to an assisted living home where his autistic brother (Dustin Hoffman) lives, whom he never knew existed.
8. The Graduate (1967) Yes, another Dustin Hoffman movie, but this time he plays a recent college graduate who is seduced by his father’s business partner’s wife, Mrs. Robinson(Anne Bancroft). This is where it gets complicated. While having an affair with Mrs. Robinson, Ben Braddock finds himself falling in love with her daughter(Katharine Ross).
7. Zoolander (2001) If you are looking for a laugh-out-loud comedy to watch, look no further. Ben Stiller plays idiotic male model Derek Zoolander who is brainwashed by Will Ferrell’s character to kill the Prime Minister of Malaysia. Throw in Owen Wilson and you have one of the funniest movies ever made.
6. Rudy (1993) The inspiring true story of Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger(Sean Astin), a short boy from a steel mill town whose dream for as long as he can remember was to play Notre Dame football. He overcomes many obstacles and defies all odds to fullfill his lifelong goal.
5. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) If you haven’t already seen Ferris Bueller, you have to reevaluate your life decisions. If you have seen it, now is the perfect time to jog your memory by watching it again. In a Chicago suburb, Ferris Bueller(Matthew Broderick) fakes being sick and outsmarts his school principal so he can have an amazing day in the city with his best friend and girlfriend. Not to give anyone ideas...
4. Jerry Maguire (1996) “You had me at hello” is just one of the many quotes made famous from the movie Jerry Maguire. Jerry Maguire, played by Tom Cruise, is a fired sports agent whose only client is rookie NFL player Rod Tidwell(Cuba Gooding Jr) and tries to rebuild a company with the help of single mom Dorothy Boyd(Renée Zellweger). Jerry and Dorothy soon fall in love, but not without facing many problems along the way.
3. The Birdcage (1996) I saw this for the first time recently and couldn’t believe I hadn’t stumbled upon it sooner. Robin Williams and Nathan Lane play a gay couple that own a popular drag club in Miami. All is well until their son Val(Dan Futterman) announces his engagement to the daughter of a U.S. Senator. His fiancée’s parents are eager to meet Val’s mother and father.
2. The Breakfast Club (1985) One of the most accurate portrayals of what life is like for high school students. Five students from different social groups spend an entire day together in Saturday detention and confess their biggest insecurities and problems to each other. They learn that they are not as different as they all thought they were. The definition of a timeless classic. Enough said.
1. Good Will Hunting (1997) My favorite movie of all time. There are too many good things to say about this movie. First of all, it was nominated for several Oscars and won for Best Original Screenplay and Robin Williams won for Best Supporting Actor. It is an incredible story of a young man named Will Hunting(Matt Damon) from South Boston that grew up with very little money and works as a janitor at M.I.T. One of the professors there soon finds out that he is a mathematical genius, but he has been to jail many times and has quite a temper. The professor sets Will up to go to therapy with a professor from Bunker Hill Community College(Robin Williams). Matt Damon and Ben Affleck wrote the screenplay when they were in their 20’s and the movie jumpstarted their careers.

• August 13, 2015 - 10:40pm (Now Viewing)