Profile pic

Jenneth LeeD

Dyslexic who wants to make a mark in the YA book market. Christian. Conservative. Licensed geek and nerd.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

The Crime Wall

PROMPT: Poetry

1
Lumpy couch beneath my feet,
Curtains drawn, desk lamp on,
Scarlet cords, covered boards—
Soon this case I will complete.

Wooden floor against my head,
Unwashed socks, random box,
Photos glued, notes reviewed—
Countless clues are yet unread.

Papered wall along my legs,
Dusty cracks, misplaced tacks,
Drawings scratched, ransoms matched—
"Justice, swift!" the victim begs.

Scrambled thoughts before my eyes,
Streets imploring, mind ignoring,
Mental trails, small details—
Evil's plan will soon demise.
The Method to the Madness:

Since I'm a dyslexic, I wanted to try an describe what dyslexia looks like (a crime wall) but the character in the poem insisted he wanted to be a detective. So think of the theme more as a dyslexic detective. Here's the symbolism:

Each first line starts out stating a location of the speaker: sitting/standing on the couch, handstanding, lying on his back with his legs up against the wall, and eye to eye with the crime wall. Each stanza he got a different view or angle of the mental analysis (much like dyslexics analyse things).

The second line in each stanza described the apartment the detective is in (which represents the mind). "Curtains drawn, desk lamp on" suggests he's secluded himself from social activity and is in the dark studying his own internal monologue. "Streets imploring, mind ignoring" represents the outside world/friends trying to get him to engage in something with them, but he turns them down.
The third line describes the crime wall, and the final lines describe the detective's thoughts on the clues given.

The stanzas go 7,6,6,7 with the first line starting with adjective, noun, location, personal pronoun, body part. Second line alternates back and forth with noun-adjective-noun-adjective and adjective-noun-adjective-noun to make the pattern NANA, ANAN, ANAN, NANA. Third line mirrors the pattern with ANAN, NANA, NANA, ANAN. My end rhyme followed an ABCA pattern every stanza with internal rhyme on lines two and three of each stanza.

1