Peer Review by AbigailSauble (United States)

Simply Me

By: DiamondTeniente

Why can't I simply love myself?
You are so beautiful they say to me.
But what is beauty? 
Is it the mascara and foundation I apply so faintly? Is it the fake smile I plaster onto my face?
Is it my kind words and optimism that seep out in tones of falsetto?
I am not me.
I am not that smile.
I am not those pretty words and tinkling giggles.
I am the tears and the angry words screamed in an empty car on my way to work. I am the missed sighs in moments of silence.
I am a grieving heart that hasn't forgotten the ones who have long forgotten her.
I am simply me.
The girl that was found under a tree.
The exception to people.
The ultimate ice breaker.
Sorry, I didn't catch your name?
That is because I let you know me before I let you view my mask.
A mask that I threw far away whenever you drew near.
Until I realized, you fell in love with the mask.
When you looked at me you didn't simply see me. You saw what everyone else saw, a happy girl with a pretty face. My heart meant nothing.
I tried to simply be myself but that wasn't beauty.
That was something else.

This is an interesting piece I want your thoughts on what you honestly think

'You saw what everyone else saw, a happy girl with a pretty face. My heart meant nothing.' - Because it's true. People look at everyone else these days, but don't look at their heart. Don't look 'behind the mask'. This is also a sad line because most people don't really care what you're going through. Humans will fail, will not see what the other is going through, but God does. :)

Sadness, and also resolute in that I will strive to be better at looking at the heart rather than the face. Looks can be deceiving.

Are these your personal feelings? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. :) Here's another question if you'd like. ;) What was your inspiration? Did you have someone in mind when you wrote this?

Well done! You captured outside beauty as opposed to inward beauty very well!
Keep up the good work!
God bless!