Peer Review by Suri Purefoy (United States)

Architectural Atrocities

By: Lauren Koontz

Everything I write has a consequence , like nails scratching down an ivy riddled house... accompanied by endless bloodied noises my fleeting sanity escapes for a second and the framework is engulfed in fire, burnt in the moment of time that the chimney breaks, morphing into a grotesque shriveling mass of smoke hiding from the surface, from the light... it all seems so simple- words are nothing more than letters, tears nothing more than broken hope and yet staring out the window of orbs coated in a moss of denial I find myself wishing and hoping for the other toppled homes to be healed and restored to a childlike gaze of wisdom, it never surfaced that I was killing myself by saving the masses and that sometimes the sacrifice wasn't worth the toll. The house was dying of an internal disease. A curse of sorts. The exterior bricks longed to be removed one by one, torn from their holding places, thrashed too and fro. The shutters wanted a release from rotting hinges and the door wanted to creak and snarl with the protest of an adolescent mind. Blood is blood and brick is brick and a building is sculpted from high hopes and expectations that the frame cannot hold, for sometimes we forget the architectural catastrophes we build within ourselves.

Any kind of feedback to help is welcome. Thank you for any and all advice.

I really liked how it wasn't in stanzas like most poems. It was unique and beautiful!

Explanation of everything you wrote: it was all so beautiful

"words are nothing more than letters, tears nothing more than broken hope and yet staring out the window of orbs coated in a moss of denial I find myself wishing and hoping for the other toppled homes to be healed and restored to a childlike gaze of wisdom, it never surfaced that I was killing myself by saving the masses and that sometimes the sacrifice wasn't worth the toll."

A confused, yet understood flurry of emotions I cannot name.

I absolutely love this!