yapyapxy

Senior Peer Reviewer
the world is wide enough

Former Write the World young writer, now mentoring other WtW young writers through peer reviews! :-)

I still write, here and there and on and off; you can check out my blog at daybreakandtheuniverse.wordpress.com or my photography on Instagram @partemis_

Stardust and Plastic

This is a Public Service Announcement: We’re now made of stardust and plastic.

Not so romantic, is it? Yet, think about it: plastic is man-made; it cannot decompose naturally (even if it does, it will take hundreds of years). In other words, plastic which is non-biodegradable will only break into smaller, less traceable pieces. As we consume the many sea creatures which have unwittingly consumed plastic, it only firmly establishes the amount of plastic in the food chain. This is an amount that can only grow day by day as our bodies also take in the chemicals plastic involves: from bisphenol A (BPA) lining the insides of plastic bottles and cans to polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) added to furniture and even mattresses for their flame-retardant capabilities.

Perhaps it might not matter, if not for the fact that some of these chemicals have been shown to have negative health repercussions on the reproduction and development of animals — much less us, the children of stardust and plastic. People may even not want to have children if they knew that their children have no Venice to experience, no ice caps to see, no future to live in. 

But you know what? These consequences are avoidable, even if they seem insurmountable. If Singapore was able to progress from a small fishing village to the metropolis today in fifty years, who is to say that we cannot progress from having the globally seventh largest ecological footprint to the seventh smallest?

It is agonising to watch documentaries after documentaries, articles after articles narrating our end. I’m tired of watching. It is time to start taking actions because I don’t want to lose the people I love and the future generation. They say that endings bring new beginnings, but what of the ending I see after the destruction of Earth? It is only the end of us.

• June 9, 2017 - 8:14am (Now Viewing)

• Sophia I.

I agree it seems as if all these movies and TV shows about our ending is just for entertainment but what about when it actually does happen? Who will be entertained then?