Gemma B.

New Zealand

'If a story is in you it has to come out'- William Faulkner
'You're mad. Bonkers. Off your head... but I'll tell you a secret...all of the best people are.' -Lewis Carroll

​Night Visitor

PROMPT: Turned to Stone

9
Outside the tent the night was as dark as the fur of a feral panther. Cold slunk around like a cat, creeping into my sleeping bag cocoon. Somewhere out in the darkness an owl hooted. Another replied, their calls entwining to make a ghost-like symphony. The whole tent trembled with my fear. Suddenly the zip of the tent began to slide, slowly being prized open by something. There was a thud as that something landed at my feet. Shaking, I looked up to see two menacing golden eyes gleaming from the light of my lamp, staring into mine.

• Quilling Leaves

I love this piece, you kept your original cat-like features the main character sees in the night. I like how you stuck to how they see the night by telling the cold crept like a cat and the night was light the fur of a feral panther. And then the two menacing golden eyes, I like that line because of the imagery it makes and how it leaves the reader wondering what it was.