378709 2971812652530 1178176603 3425818 1686159774 n

Angelina Nguyen

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin

Hello, everyone! I hope you enjoy my pieces published on this page! Most of what I write is inspired by real life events, along with people I have the pleasure of meeting. Please favourite, review, leave a comment or share any of my works if you like them because it may not seem like it but it means a great deal to me and will make my day tremendously.

How to live and how to learn

Philosophy is a radical study that was first introduced in Ancient Greece by Socrates and manifests itself in many different ways. This subject explores some of the most debatable areas of humanity. Students of philosophy can discuss the nature of our world, find ways to effectively criticize and question society, as well as gain a new kind of knowledge and understanding. I was quite fortunate that philosophy ran as a subject last year because I not only have always found myself an inquisitive individual, but also because I wanted to have an environment with like-minded people who would share a will to learn something different to the usual curriculum taught in school. This community of enquiry formed by my class opened discussions over some of the most sensitive topics that would not normally be accepted in other classes.

In designing this subject, I would like for a course similar to the one I undertook but run across every high school. Philosophy has slowly lost its value in our society with industrialization and modernization, unfortunately causing us to lose sight of the greatness that can come from questioning who we are. With the world at our fingertips, there is no longer a need to venture beyond where knowledge can take us. That is why philosophy needs to be revised and rediscovered to find value in it in a modern world.

In metaphysics, students can criticize their own realities and perspectives, yet learn to appreciate what there is in the world and to never stop learning after school. Metaphysics allowed my class to see past what is considered common knowledge about ourselves in terms of if we really do exist, what reality is, if time travel was possible and, my personal favorite, whether we have free will. Topics like these broadened how I perceived my life as well as build on my already inquisitive personality to produce a stronger, more open-minded young lady.

Studying ethics and morals by freely judging what is right or wrong can help students establish a sense of self and awareness of how they approach issues in society. We covered controversial topics in this field that we would usually keep to ourselves because saying them out loud would cause uproars. Some of these were whether it is right or wrong to use physical means to discipline children, if slavery should be reintroduced and if the death penalty should become legal. We often consider these topics as taboo but by enabling students to learn about them and understand multiple sides of a story, students can become socially and culturally literate in that they learn to shut out preconceptions about a person or their situation and approach it more logically.

The provocative nature of philosophy is one that we require in a world such as ours and demonstrates the power of education and enlightenment. Philosophy cultivates a desire to learn and to examine the world in a new lens, accept the unacceptable and conversely, reject what we already accepted. In saying this, philosophy would definitely be a successful course and I can vouch for that with aspirations myself to potentially study it past high school. I believe this is a subject that universally binds us together and can create a neoclassical generation of thinkers with ideas that can change a world in desperate need for philosophers.

• RKP_ Yoshi

Bless this writing style. Reading this out loud is any public speaker's dream. It flows so well when spoken o~o Please teach me your ways!