Joshua Barish

As the Elephant Woke Up

PROMPT: Creature View

1

The new elephant came to the zoo in Africa. He trotted to his cage nervously as he saw that his new neighbor had a big horn on his head. Since the elephant ran away from his home in the Asian outbacks, he was scared but fearless. He saw that he had to accomplish this new feat by showing pride in getting put next to the most feared animal there. As he turned and made contact with the ferocious creature, he was even more cautious now. With wrinkles that lined every inch of his body to the scar on his eye. The elephant wasn't meant to live like this. He was so worried that he stumbled over his water bucket and passed out.
    The elephant dreamed that he was back in Asia. Local merchants riding him for peanuts,getting bathed in the warm but moist dirt brown mud of the earth, and the pesky birds landing on his back which was a good scratch. Also, his owner making him a special meal. You could never tell which one loved the other more. Then one day the elephant woke up and saw that people were running for him. The little boy all cozy in the elephant's warm crevices woke up startled with a bolt of energy. The big men threw the little boy aside as the peculiar people took something out of their pockets. As the elephant woke up, the creature helped him up with his horn and gave him his water bowl.