Haleistorm

I'm just a silver-tongued lover of imperfection.

Yes, there is darkness in this world. Fight it.

The Hummingbird

PROMPT: Creature View

3
The little, brown hummingbird hovered in the tree, barely visible between clusters of white flowers. A stiff breeze sent flower petals falling to the ground like snow. 
The hummingbird saw a girl standing below the tree. White flower petals were getting caught in her long, raven hair. She was walking a tiny dog and wearing pink pajamas with a plaid coat that looked much too big for her. 
The hummingbird flitted down to get a closer look. The girl looked up and squealed. She laughed out loud and hopped up and down. 
"There's a hummingbird!" she said, shaking the dog's leash. "Look, buddy. Look at the little hummingbird. Look at it go. Hello, Mr. Hummingbird."
The hummingbird had no idea what she was saying, of course, but he was interested in her excitement. He wondered what she was so happy about. 
The girl sighed dreamily. She turned around and looked up at the periwinkle sky. The moon was hazy, and the air was sweet. 
"Hey, hummingbird," said the girl. "guess what. I think I'm falling in love."
The hummingbird didn't understand. 
"So there's this boy. And he's looking at that moon. Right now." 
The hummingbird wondered why she sighed so much. Was she sick?
"He's pretty cute," she said, sitting down in the grass. Another sigh. Definitely sick. "Actually, he's really cute. Like. Really cute."
The hummingbird wondered what the word cute meant. Why did she say it so much?
"I think I love him," she said. "Or. I might. I don't know. Is that crazy? Am I crazy? I'm talking to a hummingbird right now. Is this a bad idea?"
The hummingbird didn't answer.
"Yeah," she said, grinning from ear to ear as she plucked a flower petal from her hair. "I didn't think so either."

1

• AbigailSauble

This composition made me laugh. ;) 'Was she sick?' Yeah, love-sick. ;)
    Well done! I enjoyed this piece very much!
    Keep up the good work! God bless!