Image

Ana Lomeli

My Last Day Dream

March 3rd, 2009, it was a day like any other. Like any normal 10 year old girl, there I was, sitting in school daydreaming about going home to play. Little did I know that would be the last time that I would ever day dream about something like that. 5:00pm hit, I was alone in my room, deciding what pair of shoes I should wear to go outside and play. Meanwhile I heard a loud laughter of joy. I quickly dropped my shoes and stood up. There I was, staring out my bedroom window. I saw my family's close friend, five year old, Evelin and her father Orlando playing soccer. The giggles and smiles of Evelin then turned into screams of fear. My eyes didn't longer believed what they were seeing. There were three African American males covered from head to toe in black clothing, in which they approached him. They started attacking him agresively, punching him, taking away his personal belongings. There was Evelin crying in hope that someone would be there to help. But there was no one there. The guys ran off, as they did, one of them turned around and shot Orlando in the back. My body froze. As I watched him collapse to the grown, I screamed, and I yelled in tears. Still shocked, I dialed 911. As the only victim there, I obeyed the orders that the lady on the phone was giving me. I ran outside. Cold wind, no shoes, I sat right beside him. I grabbed his hand and watched him as his faced turned purple. White foam started coming out of his mouth. I tried my hardest to get him to wake up, I told him he had to be strong and that he had to survive to see his 2 year old son and 5 year old daughter grow up to become amazing human beings. I shook him once, I shook him twice, but still no response. I hung up the phone once I saw police officers, fire fighters and an ambulance show up. As they provided Orlando with help, they put him into an ambulance. As I looked up at the sky for distraction I saw helicopters in which they were part of the scene. Everyone helping out with the crime was coming up to me with questions. There were detectives, police officers , news reporters and let's not forget to add the random nosey people. I felt like I was going crazy. I didn't know what to do. All I wanted was this nightmare to end. 

It's been 6 years now , and this nightmare still hasn't ended. Being a victim from this crime has left me traumatized. I was diagnosed with a mental illness. I suffer from depression, anxiety and a post traumatic stress disorder. Having insomnia and lost of appetite has led me to severe migraines and vasovagl syncope. I went from being an A student my entire student career to bringing home C's and F's. I went from sharing smiles to asking for one. Being tired of sleepless nights in the hospital made me want to give up on life. I didn't see a point in living anymore. I started self harming my self. Cutting led to over dosing myself with pills. All I wanted was to find an exit sign  to all of this. I wanted to be normal again but I couldn't seem to find my way out. I would shut myself in my dark bedroom and cry, cry until the sun rised. With the help of my physiologist, as time passed by she helped me realized that I wasn't the only one suffering. My younger siblings in which they looked up to me were now hurt, their dreams were being destroyed seeing me not wanting to live anymore. My mother and father were in a lot of pain having to watch me sleep my nights in a hospital bed. I knew I had to put a stop to this. My phsycologist, doctors, school teachers and councilors, my friends and family's love and support made me realize I had a reason to live. My parents later on gave me the news that the government was going to be rewarding my family and I with a legal residency to stay in this country. Those great news opened doors for me, I was now able to work legally and go to college. With hard effort and positive vibes I knew i was able to accomplish anything I wanted. I now believe that everything happens for a reason. And I'm here now, thankfully, still fighting for happiness. I haven't given up. I'm stonger than I ever was before. I have dreams ahead of me. I'm eager to explore new things. I want to make a difference in this world and replay the help given to me by helping others. I was left with one last daydream but that hasn't stopped me from creating a new one. 

1