Img 0017

Verity Fynn

Hey, hey, hey! I'm a sixteen-year-old girl with a passion for reading and writing. Aside from that, I enjoy correcting people, chocolate, and traveling.
Shalom!
Verity

Thanks for reading guys! Any and all feedback is welcome :)

Mistique

The ocean swelled angrily around our boat, and all around me I could hear cries of fear from the women, panic from the children, and desperation from the men. Everyone on deck was soaked to the skin from the rain and the waves. Thunder crashed and lightening lit up the brooding sky, and above it all I heard a shrill scream and a distant splash. Shouts of, "Man overboard!" and "Rope! Get a rope!" were roared over the sounds of the fierce storm. Soon a man was hauled back onto the ship, washed out and limp like a drowned rat. He spluttered and coughed out seawater, and soon was back to work, trying to tie down the sails. I hardened my resolve and started after him, determined to help.

One of the deckhands waved his arms, shouting, "All women and children go below decks!" There was suddenly a stampeed heading for the stairs. I fought to stay above, but Mrs. Fallop, my old neighbor, caught my elbow and dragged me below, just like she used to when she caught me pocketing fruit from her garden.

"I can help!" I shouted at her, fighting. "I'm not a child!"

"Annice, stop struggling!" Came her reply. "Or I'll have them turn this ship around and take you back to the orphanage!" It was an empty threat, I knew, but I stopped wriggling nonetheless. About a month ago, near my seventeenth birthday, I snuck out of Miss Louella's Orphan Home, a place of hard labor and empty bellies where one lived in fear of Miss Louella's striking hand. I lived on the streets for awhile, stealing what I needed to get by, until one day when I heard talk of a ship that would go out in search of new lands. Out on the streets I had become a master of theivery, and soon I had "borrowed" enough money to pay for a ticket. To my surprise, Mrs Fallop had also booked a ticket at the encouragement of her three sons, and on board she became my guardian of sorts.

We made our way down and found two planks near each other. We climbed in and tried to sleep amid the horrid stench that inhabited the lower decks and the tossing and turning of the ship.

*****************************************

I awoke to the ominous smell of smoke and frantic shouting above decks. After checking to make sure Mrs. Fallop was asleep, I eased myself off my plank and climbed above to investigate.

What I saw was a nightmare. It appeared as though lightening had struck the main mast, and now it was burning with a hot vengence. The flames licked the mast and were spreading fastalong the deck. Some of the crew were shouting to put out the fire before it reached the gunpowder in the cargo hold. Others had already given up hope and abandoned ship. I turned back to go and warn Mrs. Fallop when all of a sudden I was thrown up in the air by a huge explosion. Something smacked the back of my head and I lost conciousness.

****************************************

When I awoke, it was the middle of the day. I was on dry land, and there was an old woman with a creased face tending to my head. She dabbed it with a tincture that caused it to burn, then feel a cool relief. I tried to sit up, but the pain in my head returned with any movement, and I was forced back down onto a cot that seemed to be made out of dried, woven seaweed.

"Easy there, chickadee," The old woman chided with a thin papery voice. "You've had quite a journey."

"Where-" My voice sounded low and gravely. I cleared my throat. "Where am I? Is this England?"

"England? What's an england?" asked the woman. "No, no, chickadee, this is Mistique. It's an island," She said proudly.

"An island? Where? Is Mrs. Fallop here?"

"Well, I don't exactly know where we are. Everybody who calls Mistique home washed up here unconsious. And evey time we try to leave, we end up back here. I've never heard of your Mrs. Fallop, neither," Was her answer.

"So I'm trapped here!?" I asked incredulously, heart sinking as I thought of Mrs. Fallop.

The old woman shrugged. "More or less. Name's Bride, by the way. I was in a wedding gown when they found me here."

I almost laughed. It was funny to imagine a woman this old being anybody's bride. "I'm Annice." I said by way of an introduction.

"Hmm. I think I like Chickadee better. Has a nice ring to it." Bride said as she handed me a carved wooden bowl full of broth. "Hungry?"

I was. I ate like I hadn't seen food in a month (which may or may not be true). I felt much better after the food, and stood up to stretch my legs.

"Feeling better, Chickadee?"

"Yes."

"Think it would be alright if you met the family?"

"Family?" I asked, confused. "But I'm an orphan."

"Everybody's family here. We look out for each other, and you just became our newest member."

I smiled.