Peer Review by Ash (United States)

Publisher's Anxiety

By: Arabel James

I placed my head on my knees and curled up in the desk chair, facing my enemies. The computer. The piece of writing that I had just submitted to the world--for criticism. I let out a low, despairing moan.

Anyone could read this, anyone could see what I'd written and comment, criticize, laugh at it. Oh, what had I done? It was much safer in my little notebook, where I allowed no one to read anything I'd written. So much safer when I was alone in my own little world of stories and imagined realms. Why hadn't I stayed there, where I could find solitary refuge? Why hadn't anyone warned me about the perils of publishing?

It was out there now. No turning back. Oh, shoot.

This was just kinda a crazy thing I wrote on the spot. Any feedback is great! Thanks, guys.

Exactly what the title says. It's a piece about publisher's anxiety.

You're talking about a feeling everyone on this website has felt in some shape or form before, so it's really easy to relate to.

You're all set. No problems here.

I really love this piece because I'm in the same boat as you. Granted, I've gotten better, but when I stop to think, 'huh, I just published this,' my next thought is immediately, 'oh dear god, what have I done?'
I love what you've done, and I can't wait to read more of your work in the future!