Abby Walker

This writing is for you.

Beginnings

PROMPT: Newsworthy

1
The first word that comes to mind after the events of this week is “beginning.” Friday, January 20 marked the inauguration of the United States’ forty-fifth president, and with it, the start of several opposing movements.

Inspired to take a stand against a man who once bragged about grabbing women without their consent and who vowed to defund Planned Parenthood, millions of people marched on cities across the country to voice their dissent the day after his inauguration. Clad in pink knitted hats and bearing carefully-crafted handmade signs, protesters of all genders, races, sexualities, and socio-economic backgrounds joined together and made a statement that government officials are finding difficult to ignore: the people are angry, and they are prepared to act in defense of the values they hold dear. The opposition has begun.

Not all Americans hold the same sentiment. Right-wing advocates like Tomi Lahren have applauded the president’s claims of being anti-establishment and questioned the protesters’ reasons for marching. Conservatives call for unity among citizens and ask them to come together in support of the president for the greater good. Little do they know, their call for unity is not so different from the call of their liberal counterparts. One side moves for unity in support of the president, the other moves for unity against him. The country, whose polarization in recent years is no secret, began to fracture in earnest this week.

Despite the divisions between his constituents, Donald Trump has begun exercising his power by signing executive orders. In his first few days in office, he has already signed documents regarding the global defunding of Planned Parenthood, the repeal of Obamacare, and the continuation of the Dakota Access Pipeline. Whether Americans are rejoicing over the new administration or vowing to oppose it for the next four years, they have the right to state their opinions and have already started acting to support them. The beauty that we find in such beginnings are the flowers of democracy.