Jessie Wu

New Zealand

amateur writer, professional cynic

lover of stationery, podcasts and rule-following.
i avoid capitalisation because i think it makes me edgy. does that mean i'm breaking the rules of grammar?

probably; this is my version of rebellion.

I tried to make it funny, I really did.

But don't feel pressured to tell me you laughed with a "lol" or an even spicier "lmao" - because I know you probably didn't.

Lexical Catharsis

STORY - Write a short story with as many literary clichés as possible.

Does the very sight of "waking up and realising it was all a dream" make your blood run cold? Do you feel nauseous at the idea of yet another "dark and stormy night"? Are you physically weak when you read a love story about that super-wealthy-but-broken man and his dirt-poor-but-beautiful girlfriend?

If yes, then congratulations - you're officially a writer. And that means you hate clichés.

We've been told by teachers, authors and peers alike to avoid them. "Be original!" they've cried, "Be creative! Think of your own metaphors!"  

But not today, dear writers. Not today. For this prompt, we want you to write the most predictable short story possible, jam-packed with the worst clichés of all time. The more you cringe, the better. Think of it as a venting session - a time for lexical catharsis - to rid your mind of all those icky plot lines and language features.

Force them out from their hiding spaces after years of submission, publish the story for the world to see, and then relax - you are done. You've lemon-juice-cleansed and gluten-freed your mind. You are a better writer already. 
For added fun, drink every time you see the word cliché being used in this prompt. Cliché, cliché, cliché. There. That'll start you off.