Cupo

Grace Mary Potts

My life is comprised of inconsistencies, daydreaming, procrastination techniques and occasionally, writing.

The edits I have made in the previous version to create this one are pretty minuscule, so if you've read that version, you're unlikely to notice the difference. But I thought I'd publish it anyway. As somewhat of a beginner in writing I would very much appreciate some criticism of the constructive sort, if you would be so kind as to permit me the pleasure.

Where It Begins

4

I suppose it starts like this.
On quiet days where you drown out the sounds of your teachers and classmates. Because the sun is spilling beams of gold and shine through the window. As if the sky has reached her long, long fingers to all the dark places, like shadowed and musty classrooms, and poured light in. Sweeping strokes of sunshine, full of shimmering clouds of dust, sparkling, rippling and curling where your breath parts the air.

This is where it begins.

Textbook closed and pen held loosely in slack fingers with your mind miles above you, resting on the clouds, drifting in the breeze.

Up where it’s quieter and yet so, so loud. Ideas screaming, demanding focus. Focus! And you see, somewhere in the distance, a person who looks just like you. Whose world seems glittering with a brilliance that you long for with a yearning you don’t quite know what to do with. And your heart feels so high you’re not quite sure if it’ll work properly again.

Because that person is who you want to be.

And it’s all suddenly so wonderful and exciting that there’s a buzz under your skin, and your face hurts, your cheeks aching with that elated grin. Until your teacher calls your name and you fall from your place in the clouds, tumbling back to Earth again. The image is gone, but that... feeling. That feeling remains.

I suppose it starts like this.

On that day, as simple as all the rest, but different still.

On that day in that cramped, shadowed classroom with the open window and the golden breeze breathing into your skin.

This

This is the day that life begins. 

1

• Grace Mary Potts

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this! I'm very pleased that you enjoyed it (clearly this piece is targeted at daydreamers), I appreciate the complement and I'm glad that you found my review helpful. And 'lovely'? How kind! I was just being honest. You really are a very good writer. Thank you commenting!

• McKayla Rose

First of all, your description is so beautiful and peaceful that it actually calmed me a lot and I wish there was more to read! I really enjoy it. My favorite part is "Textbook closed and pen held loosely in slack fingers with your mind miles above you, resting on the clouds, drifting in the breeze." because it just reminded me so much of myself, as I have been in this situation so many times before. Very nicely done!
    I also wanted to thank you for the lovely review you left on my work. It was very helpful and enlightening! :)

• Grace Mary Potts

What a lovely comment! And you're spot on, that was definitely my inspiration for this piece. Thank you, I really appreciate it.

• Maggi

Your description is absolutely beautiful. It reminds me of daydreaming, of thinking and wandering the mind until you've struck a brilliant idea and it's probably the best thing you've ever thought of in forever--
    Until that thought is interrupted by reality.