1525106 202951456575410 1352674268 n

Sunshine Rose Writer

I have a thought process as rigorous as the most treacherous mountains in the world. Long car rides are my preferred setting for sitting down to write. I was born a writer, but I will die an author.

Let me know what you think of the work, and possibly some ideas for a follow-up piece.

From the World, Removed. Into a New World, Placed.

Chirp,  chirpTweet,  tweetCaw,  caw.  The various birds shot out from the trees, darting between the branches of the trees that protected the outside of the cave from summer storms, from which deafening thunder would boom through the rainforest and shake the foliage just enough for the riper fruitages to plop down on the mossy cushioned forest floor.  Mazie, who was merely five stood within the protection of the forested cave's mouth.  Inside the cave, the walls and the floor were covered in moss to provide a soft place to rest one's head.  Her brother, Lucas, who was nine, stood beneath the tree of protection and held out his hand to feel the gentle plip of raindrops  dripping down from the drooping leaves, the water remaining from a storm that morning.  All around little fluffs of tiny bunny and squirell bodies peeped their head out from their holes and absorbed the watercolor world surrounding them.  How these children and little creatures got here was unknown.  All that was known was that they had no parents; there were no Mamas and Papas in this world.

"Lucas," a tiny, mousy voice spoke up from within the cave, "Can we?"

Lucas knew what his sister meant.  It was all she wanted to do since they had come to the forest.  He had to admit, he too enjoyed the activity.  He spoke, "Come on, Little May," Lucas held his hand out to his sister, entwining her little fingers in his, although his were not so much bigger than hers.

Away the children walk in the direction of the Hub.  In the Hub of the rainforest, all the little inhabitants gathered daily to enjoy the activities offered.  Little ones could make trade in the marketplace; things for sale included scrumptious snacks, handmade leis, and colorful Guppies found in the waters located on the outskirts of the enormous forest.  The marketplace was run by the honors system to replace the sneaky vendors of the outside adult world.  Any child who wished to make a trade would leave their payment in a box inside the product tent; payment came in whatever form a child had to offer including items like shells found at the outskirts waters or beautiful flowers of variation which could be used to make leis.

Also located in the Hub was Mazie's favorite pastime:  Cub Care.  The forest was not just made for human children, but for the young of the wild as well.  All over the forest, little creatures scampered, flew, crawled, trotted, hopped and wiggled around.  Cub Care was where the newly rescued animals were fostered before they were released to enjoy a free life in the forest.  Mazie loved caring for the little needy.  For those too small to know of the reasons for their coming to the forest, Mazie would bottle-feed them, holding them and cooing them as their eyes closed to rest.  She would cradle them in her arms, planting gentle kisses in their fur and on their skin.  Lucas knew this was Mazie's comfort; however he tried his best to hide the subconscious reason why she must have felt such compassion and empathy for these little ones.  He knew it was because of. . . because of mom and dad that she was this way.  Though too young to remember much, Lucas was sure that his little sister could remember some part of these people of horror, even if the memory was faded and faint.

Lucas felt Mazie squeeze his hand, and he looked down at her, meeting her consoling gaze; she really could read him like a book.  She reached her hand up, and he crouched down so that she could lay her soft hand on his cheek.  No words were spoken, but he knew already that she had felt his energy change.

The two children remained like this in the middle of the Hub marketplace with just a few children tottering about here and there; the Hub was not as busy as it usually was.  Suddenly, a high-pitched scream filled Lucas and Mazie's ears, and both children quickly covered their ears.  Lucas looked around for the source of the screaming, making a 180 degrees turn and scanning in that direction, then cirlcing around in time to catch a running toddler in his arms.  The toddler looked to be about three years old, and tears streaked her face.  As Lucas tried unsuccessfully to calm the crying child, he felt tears pool in his eyes at the reality of who this child was.

"Baby June,"  Lucas choked out the words and hid his face from Mazie who could just barely recognize her baby sister's distinctive sea green eyes.  She had been the apple of their parents' eyes, the one left behind when Lucas and Mazie were taken and brought to the rainforest.  But now, this crying and confused child was here in the forest with tears streaming down her rosy pink cheeks.

"Shh, quiet baby girl," Lucas hushed his sister as he accepted the natural role of her caretaker just as he had the day he and his Little May had arrived in the forest alone but safe.  Lucas now faced the reality that his family was his responsibility now.  He felt assured that they would be alright within the safety of the forest, but he was worried all the same that his sweet angels would never understand.  Lucas felt inside that when the time came when his sisters would develop enough curiousity to ask questions about their origin, he would be unsure of how to appropriately handle the situation.  How would he expalin their parents' actions to his innocent little sisters.

"Lucas," Mazie had read him again, "Is it us now?"  Lucas sometimes had a hard time believing his young sister's maturity.  Still he knew her age and knew it was his job to reasurre her, "Yes, Little May.  It's us. . . and we're going to be just fine."

I'm not too sure of where some of my ideas come from, but I would say this idea is a clear derivitive of me being a foster youth.  This for me is a glamorized idea fo 'the system' and an ideal safe haven from the things that lead to a child's removal from home.

1