Stick pic

Jacquelyn Brown

I'm a college student who is a tad too invested in music.

Hozier - Hozier Album Review

0

Hozier’s self-titled album is one of my favorite releases of 2014. Each song has the ability to truly make you feel some type of way. For instance, Take Me to Church uses traditionally gospel associated chords and progressions ironically against his lyrics to emphasize the injustices and hypocrisy observed from the church. Even pushing aside the introspective lyrics for a moment, solely based on the music itself, just the instrumentation, Hozier can pull, twist, and harbor emotion in a way that is fresh and meaningful. The next track on the album, Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Sea, carries on the musical tone of the previous track, but with a more subdued approach. The abrasively gentle guitar textures make the hairs on my next stand up. When the drums enter, I am forced to tap my foot along and clap on the off beats.  Hozier’s voice flows like melted butter over the layered guitars, and when the vocal swells begin shortly before the guitar solo, it’s as if the world halts for a hot minute. Someone New has a similar effect as well, although much more joyful. The lovely cello melody in the beginning has an almost Sara Bareilles vibe, but that quickly dissipates once Hozier’s confident, yet gentle voice wafts in with the first verse. Honestly, my stomach starts doing summersaults once the chorus hits. Almost as if a butterfly sanctuary unknowingly opened inside my abdomen, and just a blanket of warmth hugs you. Yep, that’s exactly how the song sounds. I haven’t had this physical of a reaction to an album in a long time, and that’s why it’s definitely a top pick from 2014. The rest of the album carries the vibe felt from the few songs mentioned. Oh, and the bonus track version of the album is more than worth it.

Top Picks:

Angel of Small Death and the Codiene Sea

Someone New

Foreigner’s God