378709 2971812652530 1178176603 3425818 1686159774 n

Angelina Nguyen

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin

Hello, everyone! I hope you enjoy my pieces published on this page! Most of what I write is inspired by real life events, along with people I have the pleasure of meeting. Please favourite, review, leave a comment or share any of my works if you like them because it may not seem like it but it means a great deal to me and will make my day tremendously.

How I Found Something To Love In December

December brings adventure, fun and games, great good and goodbyes, all wrapped in this bow that is only opened when the new year arrives.

There is this feeling we have when it is a certain time of year. There is this familiar buzz for the first day of school, the highs of falling in love, a dread, but also determination for exams and assessments. I keep making the effort to try to describe these atmospheres we create around ourselves during the year. It is there and it is what thrills us. 

This month rings a hundred different bells for this Sydneysider. December is another White Christmas I have missed from living in Australia, crowded beaches with picnic blankets that are like a pastels palette disassembled and scrunched into not-quite-so-rectangles. December is a streak of ridiculous heat with a sudden downpour of rain on the least expected day. December is writing cards to all my teachers and thanking them for the year and sending boxed gifts with neatly wrapped corners to close friends. I have to say with certainty that last December was the greatest I have had and it was all because of someone named Alexander.  

I met my partner Alex last year but we never did more than wave to each other as we passed. He had inspired me to paint, as I have written about in many of my stories, and covered a once blank canvas with fingered slashes of blue and green, outlines of orange and purple. They mirrored my muse in a way that only I seem to fully understand, swirls of mystery and delight, of philosophical discoveries and imagination. I needed him to see it, that he was the reason that I made something this wonderful but I was afraid of rejection. How can one handsome, tall, intelligent and headstrong being like him ever come to even notice someone like me? A four year age gap still could not stop me; when you know that something is right, it just beckons you to act upon it. That was what I found most amazing about him- he inspired me to be more than I was. I had hit him up with a  

"I suppose normal people say 'hi', so hi." 

Amused by me, he fired up a conversation and before we knew it we were talking for hours on end. I brought up the concert which was the day after his birthday and he decided to attend it spontaneously. I was shot with this rush of excitement; he was coming to see me perform and I could show him the artwork that I made because of his performance weeks ago. He scrutinised my painting before laughing at how much of a genius I was, when in reality, he was the one person who got me to exploit myself. Time worked out for us in December last year. Since his birthday was on the 30th, the concert on the 1st of December, us seeing each other again on the 3rd meant that I could give his massive canvas to him to take home as a gift. All of this happening convinced me that we were meant to fall in love, that falling in love in the right time, with the right person, was possible. Those who were patient enough for it were the most fortunate.  

By the 5th of December, we had started our relationship and I had suddenly felt something new. It was this anticipation that I have always had for Christmas and New Year amplified, turning my world into a camera with this airy fairy filter everywhere I went. We immediately knew we had to see each other. Alex and I go to music schooling together but otherwise, we do not get to see each other. We started to schedule in coffee dates at my local Gloria Jean's. We sat in the corner on two wooden chairs with a circular coffee table between us. He often came in shorts and a soaked tee shirt, probably rushing from his life-guarding job to see me. He ordered a Cookies and Creme frappe but I stuck with my latte even though it was far too hot for one in an Australian summer like this. Awkward silences were unavoidable, especially when our general conversation came from texting each other prior to this. I liked that although we had moments where we would not say anything, I fell in love with the way he sipped his drink, his left leg rapidly shaking. When he scrunches his nose or when he covers his mouth with his hand to "think before he speaks" or when he raises his right eyebrow, I instantly take out my notepad and jot down how I would describe it. He makes me want to write and preserve the best parts of him in my words. Michael Buble, whom we both adore, would be playing in the background and although there was no sweaters or snowflakes, it surely was as mystical as the music itself.  

Having conservative parents only made it more difficult for us to meet one another, but the beauty of Christmas was inching on me. I was just not satisfied with these coffee rendezvous. We sneaked in a meeting at a shopping centre before I had to go off on a cruise in January, giggling at the sight of each other and the fact that we had the audacity to do this in the first place. New Years Eve, it was, and we exchanged late Christmas gifts since we had not met before. I was confronted by a large, square frame. Inside was a piece of sheet music decorated with sequins, forming a black treble clef. I gawked at the sight of it, which he suddenly frowned, thinking I did not like it. I remembered laughing and wrapping my arms around him unconsciously, telling him repeatedly how beautiful it was. We holding hands, swinging our arms back and forth, passing boutiques that were far too pricey. By the end of it, we could hardly keep our hands off each other, but we knew that the next time we met would be almost a month later. I had a cruise ship to board and so did he two weeks after mine. While we sat on sofa and mocked the woman at the cash register earlier, he suddenly stopped and just smiled. Pulling me in close, he took off my glasses and told me to close my eyes. I remarked;  

"It's not like I can't already see what's coming next." 

He rolled his eyes and kissed me. I would have to admit it is nothing like the movies but in that single moment, it was as if everything in my world made sense. I did not need an elaborate scene with pouring rain or a candle light dinner for this to be any better. I just needed him there. When we parted lips, he immediately asks me  

"Can we do it again?" 

Smooth, isn't he? I simply burst out in laughter and knew that the New Year was going to bring something amazing- my first year with my Alex.