_Peanut_

17
Passionate
Type A
Lover of Books and Poetry
Listener of Broadway Musicals
Dancer, Volleyball Athlete
Adores the Ocean
Spreads love, not hate

I thought I'd try my hand at this prompt, as I currently am feeling like I am a living and breathing paradox.
Title help and other suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!!

The Right Way to Write

First they said to write
Only when the thoughts
Flowed like a dribbling brook 
That softly laps in the quiet forest 
Of a torrent mind

Then they said to write
Only when the sun reached the peak
And began its descent once again
No matter the wandering wilderness
Of the befuddled brain

Then they said to write
Only when the keys
Reached the pinnacle of the symphony
And the ringing of words 
Still echoes in one's ear

But I write when I like.

2

• almost flora kane

mmm, that last line is so great! i like the sudden drop off of it, from the longer stanzas to that final line, and the descriptions throughout are relatable. i enjoyed reading this a lot! re: thank you for your comment! it meant a lot to me.

• A. Penderwick

Re: oooh, yes, those are fantastic. My favorites mostly included the ones you listed(though I don't really know Falsettos), and I also love In the Heights, Amelie, Come from Away, Bring it on...

• A. Penderwick

Wow, this is stunning. Your imagery is beautiful, and I absolutely adore the last line. I actually really like the title, I think the play on words with right/write is very satisfying, and it fits the piece.
    Re: Yup, I kinda feel like I'm constantly trapped within a paradox(like the one you talk about in this piece!).

Also- I noticed that your bio says you listen to Broadway musicals. Which ones are your favorites? I'm a huge theater nerd and whenever I see someone on this site who likes musicals, I rush to ask them about it.

• Ava Marie

I love this, it's so simple and beautiful and I think that the title fits perfectly!!!

This is such a lovely response to the prompt! I had initially planned something similar, to write about writing (because I love that phrase) but was really stuck as to where to go, so changed my topic completely. But this is just on point! I love how you've used paragraphs to show contrast, instead of two lines, which is really unique.

And congratulations on winning best peer review for the Sports Writing Competition! I can't comment on the review, but I read through it, and it's really really good! You've given the writer a great balance of feedback and encouragement, and everything you said came off as a suggestion, not an order, which is exactly what a review needs.