Paisley Blue

they/them | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

"Come away, O human child! To the waters and the wild, With a faery, hand in hand, For all the world's more full of weeping than you can understand."

- Yeats

clouds in orange and pink

20

every so often, on summer evenings when
sweat clings to humid sun-drenched skin
and the AC whirs outside the screen window
and the world spins slow,

i think of sunsets and you, and
smooth jazz piano in the background.
i put our homemade laugh track on repeat
and pretend you’re lingering around the frame.

here’s to you — a tipping glass of iced chai
or pink lemonade sold in the front yard,
swaying slowly in multicolored selfies that we
captured to sweep ourselves into the future.

nostalgia shares your name, back from the
summer evenings spent in knee-high yellow grasses,
the sky pink as lemonade, ice swaying
around the rim of the glass.

7.13.2021

1

• crystalline•galaxies

re: for some reason, being told that i’m truly a poet made me tear up just a little bit. i appreciate you so, so much, my friend. thank you.

• psithurism

how is my friend so talented

re: also tysm, same to u my dear, this piece is beyond :)

re: yep, if i only i could go back to elementary school... it was so much simpler and i also realize how little i knew of life and yet i got by somehow... and now i'm going into high school ahhhh. oh, claud is a zz plant. they are drought tolerant and thrive in low light so kinda perfect for my room. ha, yes i can just picture you making your bed, singing wicked at the top of your lungs. a very blue thing for you to do! hmm, i like listening to upbeat stuff too. right now my fav upbeat song is "warm glow" by hippo campus but also the beatles, paper kites, and hamilton definitely make an appearance. anyway, today we're off on a little day trip to the coast and my dad's favorite taqueria lol. have a marvelous day! <3

• thebookishfey

wow this is so beautiful... summer gives me such a nostalgic feeling and this captures it really well. especially love "nostalgia shares your name, back from the
    summer evenings spent in knee-high yellow grasses, the sky pink as lemonade, ice swaying around the rim of the glass." but the whole thing is amazing!! :)

re: yeah, crowds can be maddening. i'm glad you get to celebrate with ur friend. ha, deeerrrr. that's hilarious and crazy ur already learning how to drive. sounds stressful but going to the library sounds like it was worth it. the libraries here are opening up again and i browsed for the first time the other day! very exciting, my life is so boring. oooh, i would love to see ur dances! that sounds like a blast. while i was at camp one of the nights during dinner our cabin did a high school musical flashmob to we're all in this together and when u mentioned ur dances that's what i thought of. i'm sure they were much more choreographed, though! oh, ok so while i was at camp my parents painted my room, gave it a little make over and so now it's this lilac-y gray. it used to be well bright lime green... so i love my room so much more now i've got a mirror and a plant i've named claud and i still have a lot of decorations (polaroids, posters, artwork) to put up. anyway! just came back from playing tennis with my dad. we went to 3 diff courts till finally we found a free one and played and then like 10 min later these super buff tennis guys with really deep voices come in and say they reserved the court. so we struck out, but that's okay. what's ur favorite music to listen to when u clean? <3

re: hi yes well what is there to tell? yesterday my family and i went on a hike which my dad claimed was 3.5 miles but it was more like 5. uphill both ways, naturally. that's what it felt like lol. we went out for lunch too which was one of my first times going out for a meal. thank u vaccine. and then shell and i met! got boba of course. it was wonderful, she's just as lovely in real life. i kinda can't stop smiling rn. anyway, we finally went home and it was a bit of a long drive. showered, watched tv (anne with an e, gilmore girls, and new girl r my guilty pleasure feel good shows but mostly i watch the crown because it's super interesting and the set design is flawless). then i read a little bit, reading the pickwick papers by dickens which is actually really funny. i love reading old books and finding the irony and humor in them. well, how r ur plants? theater camp? tell me thingsss! <3

• boston

this piece makes me ache for a feeling i don't know if i've ever even had, but i now know that i want.
    re: hehe thanks so much!!

• rwong

dangggggg ok everyone commented about the imagery and omg it is truly amazing, ell! also the line breaks really add to it, like a kinda sense of urgency but then also taking your time, kinda both. dont really know how to describe it but dangg is this super well written. its full circle at the end and also like just everything about it is so real and tangible...im amazed. you never cease to blow me away, my dear ell!
    re: thank you! :D

• _streaks_of_stars_

also i really love the title too

• _streaks_of_stars_

whoaa. i loved thiss - so powerful, sweet, beautiful, sad, exquisite. and the imagery you used here too
    i love this part -> "i think of sunsets and you, and
    smooth jazz piano in the background.
    and pretend you’re lingering around the frame."
    Really beautiful^ and the whole poem too <3

ok, ok. the first stanza is just what humid summer evenings are, perfectly described (even tho we don't have ac). i feel like i'm there, with you. and then we're remembering and it's so nostalgic, almost painful. "that we/ captured to sweep ourselves into the future." ahhhhhh maybe my favorite line. the end, how you take us into the field, into the sunset, then back to the lemonade. it's perfect. i love this so much... thank you elliot. <3<3<3

• _Peanut_

Gorgeous imagery. You are so talented!

• Renegade_Writer [ChildOfGod]

Wow this is great! Stunning!

• kaylasghost

ajtfjafajstk i love this.... it's bittersweet and nostalgic, the kinda beautiful that hurts a little. i especially love the line "nostalgia shares your name" too, but the entire thing is so well written

• Yellow Sweater

You are a true master with imagery.