Written_In_Water

17
Christadelphian
INFJ
Hufflepuff
A better reader than a writer - but aren't we all?
Joined July 8th 2021

"The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God...there I plant my foot" - Jane Eyre

A conversation that happens oh so often

6
[She clubs him around the head]

Ow!!!

what did you do that for?

sorry

[A beat]

what you doing?

something important. Maths homework

well which it - something important or maths homework?

haha - very funny

can we play?

I've really got to get this in

oh come on - the deadline isn't till midnight - you've got hours!

you know as well as I do that's not how this works

[Reluctant but firm] just wait over there for a while - I'll be finished soon

you never used to be this boring

you never used to be this pushy

but look at me! I'm fading away - you can already see the sunlight through my fingers

[she raises her hands to demonstrate]

another half an hour and you'll have got the idea all muddled!

ugh why do you always appear at the worst times? If it's not when I'm doing work then it's when I'm half asleep

well sometimes you need a distraction

I happen to like algebra

weirdo

[A beat]

[With a wry smile] okay, okay - fine! I give in

what've you got for me this time?

[she clears her throat as if she is trying to give the impression she is saying something important]

"you get lost in the black space that fills the sky
there is no way to navigate

the stars are underneath your feet like bright glitter"

sorry - it sounded better in my head

no, no - it's nice - hardly a poem though

well I can't do all the work for you 

[he begins to type]

I suppose I could do something about the inky blankness dirtying my fingertips

ooo that's nice

you hate it don't you?

yeah

[he backspaces furiously and they think together in silence for a minute]

​how about - "like bright glitter resting on the wet spongy moss that the people below call clouds?"

now that's better - we'll make a poet of you yet

[a beat]

[she chuckles] well as soon as you start cleaning up that phrasing of yours and pick some interesting adjectives once in a while and stop butchering the ideas I throw your way

[he sighs fondly] well I think that-

At that moment the door was flung open and the poet's fumbling fingers immediately (and with what should've been a well practiced action by now) switched to the open tab on which he had shelved his work. The poet's mother entered and, the instant before, his conversation partner exploding into tendrils of smoke that hung in the air for a second before fading into nothingness. Clearly suspicious at the lack of productivity, his mother inspected the screen and, placated by the forthcoming "yes, yes I'm working - just a few questions to go", she left, after the customary remonstrances about the untidiness of his room and the hours he spent locked away in it. In the immediately ensuing silence, the poet furrowed his brow in concentration, shook his head a little as if to shake away an annoying fly and settled down with a renewed determination to finish the five or so questions he had remaining.

[twenty seconds or so of quiet, save for the scratching of a fountain pen]

[whispering] is she gone?

[a small translucent face was peeping out from inside a small cupboard in the corner of the room. The poet sighed]
a conversation between a young poet and inspiration (You won't really get the piece without that information but I felt it would be a little too obvious if I put it at the start haha and I think you might be able to work it out as you read - I'm the writer though so it's hard to tell haha - lmk)

I hope you liked this! I'd love any comments or critical feedback. I'm not really sure about whether the ending works all that well - I thought so at first but now I'm not to sure. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This was inspired by my experiences - but the structure/form I got from HeyThereRose's piece set in a mansion of tea and stars and ink and ballgowns and deep red wine and Dark academia escapism (in which a poet who has many names resides in a mansion with a ghost and a clock, and converses with her raven lover) - if you liked this then these are infinitely better! (It's on the internet - so it must be true)

• July 13, 2021 - 9:43am (Now Viewing)

Dude yes omg I love this!! Im glad I'm not the only one who was inspired enough to make a spin off XD this is awesome! Nice job! Isn't HeyThereRose great? :)

Re: <3

Re: Hehe yeah it's rough but I'm hanging in there. And oh that's cool! You're still saying super nice things tho so I think that makes you nice.

also oops i meant to type Sam not Same XD

Re: Omigosh Same you're so nice thank you so much for all the likes and comments! I'd spam you back but I'm running on 5 hours of sleep total from the past couple of days.

Re: Nice to meet ya, Sam. I'll try to remember that. My pronouns are she/her and people here just call me Anne. :)

Re: Thank you! And yeah they did a great job of phrasing what I'm sure lots of people are thinking.

Oh: May I have your pronouns and/or a name to call you (doesn't have to be ur real name) if you feel comfortable?

Re: How cool!

• HeyThereRose

okay this is so so so so amazing I love it

I love this piece! I was able to figure out that it was about a writer talking to inspiration. And those scattered lines were so poetic I love them. Have I mentioned before that I think your username is so cool?

• Coco pebbles [ChildOfGod]

I love this! You had Inspiration’s character planned perfectly!

Re: Thank you! I'm glad you liked the rhymes; that rhyme scheme was very experimental for me