Avril

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door."

seventeen years old
joined June 2020
community ambassador alumn!

I love to write reviews, so if you need one let me know in a comment on one of my pieces!

Hey! Thanks for checking out my work! Feel free to let me know what you think.

The Trees

In the beginning, there were two of us. We were tall and proud and our branches swayed ever-so-freely in the breeze.
We let our seeds fall, and as the saplings grew we sheltered them until they were tall enough to spread seeds of their own. And there were more saplings, and more trees.  The wind carried our seeds and we made our home in every corner of the earth.

We breathed in and breathed out, and life was born. There were wet creatures and dry creatures and we loved them. Warm mouses and tiny crawlies made their homes in the hollows of our trunks. We were tickled by the soft little feet of the squirrels and we laughed.

As more saplings sprouted up, we whispered to them the secrets of the universe; “Be gentle, seek life, give of yourself.”

And one day there were new creatures; different ones. The final part of his masterpiece. We loved them especially, because they looked like him, almost, in a way that the other creatures didn’t.

And so when they took more from us that the others, we didn’t mind. The smile on a child’s face when she bit into a plum delighted us. We grew taller and wider and spread our seeds further so that we could be enough.
They made tools and garments, and this too delighted us.

Look how clever they are.”

Perhaps it was when the chopping began that we began to sense they would ask more from us than what we could give. They began to build their houses out of us instead of within us. And as their houses grew taller, our numbers for the first time grew smaller.

The wind carried rumors of mass-choppings, of machines that took forests in a day. Even so, we whispered, “Forgive.”
But on the cold October day when word began to spread that Old Red had fallen, anger grew among the trees. Because Old Red, we knew, had been here almost since the beginning. And with him fell the stories and the songs of ancient trees.

On either side of the highway trees bowed low when the truck that carried Old Red’s trunk went by. And the sorrow they carried deep within their roots spread throughout the earth, until every tree throughout the world let their branches droop.

We are the trees, and we give life. We are the trees, and we are dying.

• Zirong

This piece makes me wanna cry. I agree with serein that "your writing has the ability to tear hearts in half" - brilliant work again! Looking forward to reading more from you <3

re: Yes it has been long and I miss you! I feel that our ambassadorship just ended a few days ago haha - time does fly so fast! I'm doing great, and hopefully you are doing perfectly well :) Yesss I do have a lot of ideas in mind, but may not have the time to write all of them out since my college application season is coming. Do you have any interesting writing projects going on?

Re: Thanks; and definitely! Yeah lol :P It takes a while to write, but Hamilton is a very interesting topic and takes much care and precision whilst writing.

Re: Awesome, ty :) Ok, I understand that. Personally, I believe the whole Bible is literal, and with the 6 days. I believe nature DOES exist to prove God; it's man-made things, such as carbon dating which are proven to be flawed. There have been studies done with carbon dating, where rocks that have only been around for several years are tested, but the dating says they're thousands of years old. I mean, that could've just been a one-off, but you know, there's a whole shroud of mystery surrounding God that we won't understand till we get to Heaven!
    I totally get that, and appreciate your caution :) Oh lol that's all good; your fellow CA, barelybear writes MUCH longer comments OwO
    Oh all good; same!

• serein

O my goodness the trees are so gentle and beautiful and I was rooting for them (i did not mean for that pun to happen haha) the whole time and then at the sentence "Perhaps it was when the chopping began..." I sincerely felt terrible and got so sad for them. Your writing has the ability to tear hearts in half and that's what I love about it.
    re: thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

• barelybear

Re: ahh thank you!! Yep I sure hope that’s a symbol of the good that will come, since we seem to be aware of the issues we’re facing. It’s not a great situation, but there’s still a lot we can do before we give up c:

Yes definitely! It was kinda freeing to share it with my dad (after I’d gotten over the awkwardness). I think your brother would be proud (I would be, to have an amazing sister like that!)

Yes omg being pushed out of my comfort zone is one of the best things being a CA has done for me. That being said, it’s Thursday, and I haven’t picked a song yet agh (I just don’t listen to music). Maybe I’ll pick my piano... Or if that fails, something from a musical. And yes! I’ve loved looking through the prompts that I did exemplars for. I was so proud to see a lot of people had also gone for an environmental theme for this one. Anyways, hopefully we’ll go out with a bang :D
    See you around soon! c:
    Ellie

• barelybear

THIS IS AMAZINGGG!! It’s so cool how you’ve taken the trees’ perspective, and it feels really impactful when you use “We,” like that last sentence, “We are the trees, and we are dying.” And what a great message to impart on the reader! Plus, it’s pretty cool that we ended up going for similar themes but in different ways :D
    Ahh I’m gonna be so sad next week with the final prompt!!

Have a great day!!
    Ellie c: