happygiggles (not as active anymore)

Ireland

hi. welcome to my profile. please make sure you eat today, you need it to stay alive! happy giggling!
i'm a Catholic and a day-dreamer, that's all (:
most of my stuff sounds the same tbh :/

it's been a while crocodiles, i've missed you.

William Shakespeare Speech (challenging modern adaptations of Romeo and Juliet)

4

William Shakespeare. Born in Stratford Upon-Avon on the 23rd of April, 1564; back then of course, he was just considered a regular child, nothing too exceptional about him. But, my question is, how did he go from that to a man who made fame extremely quickly, and for the right reasons; I mean, his literature was so well thought-through and ahead of his time. Shakespeare had an entire theatre company, which was really popular and The Globe, which is till up and running today. It really is mind-blowing, intriguing and just ultimately inspiring.
   Take for example Romeo and Juliet, probably one of, if not the, most famous play that he wrote. First performed in 1595, yet still its significance lives on. What is the significance of Romeo and Juliet anyway? I feel ashamed to say it, but I find myself asking this question a lot. Perhaps it has lost its true meaning and significance in a wave of modern twists and turns through its millions of adaptations. We all know the basic plotline, but what about the meaning? When I asked Google I found, "hatred between two families can cause deathly affects." I also frequently found accounts stating that Romeo and Juliet is one of the best love stories of all time. I completely disagree. The message that I recieved from Romeo and Juliet is that true happiness cannot be achieved when on your own and that there is only one person out there for you, that will make your life worth living. Romeo drank poison because he couldn't live without Juliet. Juliet stabbed herself because she couldn't live without Romeo. Suicide, both of them. They were soulmates, who commited suicide because they were "consumed by love for one another," right? Or did Romeo and Juliet just lack love for themselves? Rather thought-provoking. In my opinion, Romeo and Juliet romaticizes suicide and low self-worth. If falling in love is a slow from of killing yourself, I think I'll pass. Gladly. 
   Although, I suppose you could say that I interpreted it in a very different and absurd way, that begs the question; is it right, or is it not right to bring modern concepts and social issues into classical literature? Do modern adaptations add or take away from Shakespeare's plays, specifically Romeo and Juliet?
I wrote this speech for English and had to perform it as part of my final grade, a little scary indeed! 
happy giggling x

I missed you too! This is so cool!

• Rachaelgrace

Ooo if someone gave this speech in my english class it would be so interesting and thoughtprovoking. Great job, and I totally agree about Romeo and Juliet!

• Cosmogyral

I would simply die if you added a reference on Romeo's loss of sensibility due to blindness of love and a quip about Shakespeare's missing head!