HighEntropy

concerned deeply about climate change
fan of myths and superheroes

love to vent, love reading vent pieces <3

get my stuff banned more times than I'd like :'(

Thirty-nine minutes
Rings in her years
There's no room for doubts
No room for tears
This fierce teen
She barely survives
The ocean is the home
Where this Refugee thrives.

39 Minutes - Cli-Fi Flash Fiction

7

They’re coming for us.
I’m hiding behind a trash can, barely surviving. 
The Affluents have let the vicious SmartDogs out in search for us. They can detect a Refugee from miles away.
On Pangea, the only landmass not submerged on earth, the Refugees are fighting for food, water, and dear life.
I was never educated in a fancy school. I’m only literate. But the lessons my mother left me with shaped my personality. 
I earn hardly a rupee or two. I have been trying to apply to the Alfonso School, but the students are many and assets few. And since my mother earned 5 rupees a day while the Affluents were earning hundreds of thousands, i had to turn to criminal activity, like all the other poverty-ridden humans. I am, like the thousands of other outlaws, a Refugee. And I’m being hunted down. 
I’ve heard they throw them into the ocean. Some say they make them slaves till death. I don’t know what they’re up to, but I don’t want to be deprived of my freedom. 

Shackled by the chains of impoverishment, I still dance. And I will keep dancing till my last breath. 

I'm wearing my mother's veil and put a weird smelling cologne. I try not to make a sound as my bare feet heat up like fire.

I'm parched.. I spectate from behind the can; my friend Celia got caught. I find myself resisting the desire to slice their heads off. I only caught a glance... but i saw who the guard who caught her was. The realisation hit me like a cascade. 

It was my uncle Marley. He used to assist me in my larger thefts, taught me how to pickpocket the Affluents on Benton Street. I wanted to save him, ask him how he has been doing in the past twenty six months.

But I resisted.

Shit. He's seen me. He's programmed to hunt me down and possibly.... shoot me.

I shuffle on my toes. I'm taking deep breaths. I cleared my head and I clearly see my goal. 
I run straight ahead. I'm dodging their bullets. "39 minutes" rings in my ears.

A bullet pierced through my hand. It's a prosthetic one that Marley stole. He should know it's no use. Did they wipe out his memories?

'39 minutes', I thought.

I wore a rubber jacket, gloves and put on shoes, still running with my utmost energy. 

39 minutes.

I filled my lungs with chemical-infested air, waving goodbye to the velvet sky.

I jumped into blue nothingness. I felt my shackles unlock.

I took a huge step and wrote a rather long flash fiction.
reviews are heavily regarded.

• July 2, 2021 - 1:03am (Now Viewing)

• marsverse

love the character and the story. the ending was my favorite part, along with the beginning where you describe the world on Pangea. flash fiction indeed. fantastic job!

(thanks for the like n' follow as well!)

• Ombreluna

I could literally feel the character. Absolutely loved it. Great job!

• Rachaelgrace

Woah this is so good! It's so unique and well written! Great job :)

Re: Thank you so much <3

• barelybear

I love the world you’ve created with this! Scarily enough, it feels like it could happen to our society. What an ending!