Mya Soderman

Is it good or not?

Life In Person

0

I was hanging back by the wall, when you were born.

In no time at all you were off to your first day of school, and I watched you go to class while I stood atop the schoolhouse.

Eagerly I saw you grow, change, experience life. You were special in your own ways but, from a distance the same as all the others.

When your parents videotaped your graduation ceremony you looked so beautiful and happy. I was hiding in the corner. The whole world in front of you....You the thought we would be together forever. But I knew better. These things always end the same.

I sat in utter boredom at the edge of your desk as you worked your life away. You really disappointed me. You were always thinking about 'Later' like all those other fools.

'Later' we could travel. 'Later' we could sleep all day. 'Later' you would start a family. 'Later' you would appreciate me more, love me more, respect me more. You turned out to be one of the bad ones.

I guess I should have felt sorry for you, but really, I'm used to it.

I silently breathed in the scent of your hair, watching the color evaporate. Leaving it grey and white. You used to have a beautiful crown of color, you blamed me for stealing it away. You could not feel has my fingers caressed your face. My corrosive touch leaving wrinkles in trails, once smooth and healthy.

'Later' came and went. When you finally retired, it was far to late for all your plans with me. There was nothing I could do but what I've always done, wait, and watch.

A sad, empty vase rested beside me on the windowsill of your hospital room. I patiently gazed upon your withering form. I could tell that you missed me then, near the end. Like so many before you and so many to come, you wished you had appreciated me more. You wept to yourself, crying out for me, but I just sat back and watched.

I was the only one keeping vigil when you passed.