mirkat

she/her│infp-a
est. 10/15/20

in love with the world
existing is all i know how to do

"too dizzying to love anywhere
but from a distance"

“what novelty is worth that sweet monotony where everything is known and loved because it is known?”

cavetown and sleeping at last and the beatles and sufjan stevens and mitski and wallows

little women and moonrise kingdom and the princess bride and lady bird and the grand budapest hotel

anne of green gabels and little women and i'll give you the sun and a tree grows in brooklyn

expiration date

55

i. months from now you'll be nothing but a few warm afternoons splayed out on the astroturf, nothing but a hazy joke or two; 
the veiled curtain of precious moments too ordinary to remember
        obscuring the mornings we spent pegging away at our classwork, firing sly comments at each other from across the room;
the days seem long now, but in time they will fade 
        to brief flashes of laughter (your eyes crinkle into a smile when we played improv games in drama class) and
a kind gesture or two (that day you lent your baseball glove to me when i didn't bring my own; my nose still remembers the cowhide, the sweat) and
        quick glances at the clock mounted above the door (waiting, 
waiting for lunch, for recess, for things to happen and people to see and places to go);

ii. years from now you'll be nothing, but maybe a yearbook memory or two will survive in the recesses of my mind; a fabricated smile i could hardly call yours staring up at me from the glossy pages of our past; 
it will call forth a trickle of insufficient simulations of our days together, 
        way back when; (days were measured in bell rings and we played catch in the ramshackle park across the street and we did math worksheets propped up against the rusted lockers)
all of my memories will melt away 
        in the high noon sun; i'll come to collect them every few years, only to find they've rotted; bloated and mangled, they will stare up at who i have become; and i will grind my distorted memories into the foursquare lines of our past
        again and again and-- (i never made it past c square);

iii. decades from now, even the twelve year old jar of maraschino cherries in the back of the fridge
        will be reduced to nothing; and i will have moved on 
to the grueling tasks of everyday life with bills to pay, groceries to buy, things to do, people to see, and places to go;
i will forget; everything never happened; 
        i’ll just be left crying in a shabby apartment kitchen, trash trucks outside and an empty milk jug with an expiration date stamped on its side cradled in my arms;

been working on this draft for a while now

• Zirong

I like how the tone changes when "things to do, people to see, and places to go" are repeated. Also, I've never read any piece that ends with a semicolon, but it does fit here :) Amazing work!

• Harzi

I can't get over how beautiful and moving and amazingly nostalgic this is acckkk!! Congratulations on being writers pick!

• ~wildflower~

AHHHHH THIS IS AMAZING!!!! Congrats on being the writers pick this week!! I always adore your writing and, even though I only drop by every so often, you are most definitely up there with my favourite writers on wtw. A piece more than deserving for writers pick from a writer who deserves recognition!

• sci-Fi

congrats on writers pick mir this is beautiful <3

• only_a_mirage (bird)

OMG MIRRRR WRITERS PICKK!!!!!!! YYYAAAYYY!!! you definitely deserve it this piece (not to mention your others) is so good!!! this is really raw and emotional and just so good :)

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

i know i read this but how did i not comment on its vivid imagery and memories?! this is truly incredible, mir, and you deserve the recognition!
    this makes me feel an urgent need to cherish memories, to expel all the thoughts and feelings onto paper, to reminisce with an aching, to hold onto photographs and talk about the past and put on a record. it's almost like anemoia :)

• Karma’s_Coming

Congrats on writers pick!! This was such a beautiful piece, it was well deserved <3

like rwong said!! so proud my friend, you'll see this when you get back! congrats on writer's pick for the week of June 17th! (i saw it on the 18th because i'm just not as cool)
    hope you're having a fun time at camp! we're all eagerly awaiting your return!! :)

• celestialbard

I LOVE THIS!!!! Well done!!

• Wisp

Um, uh, how did I miss this?? Like?? I'm in love with it? (It's not a question, it's a statement with an inquisition haha (I don't think I worded that right)). Just the nostalgia embedded in the words and longing and growing up vibes I get from this are just so real and true and they hurt so much because I keep feeling this way lately. This is a piece that resonates with so many because we've all experienced this feeling of living on and the memories fading, from kindergarten to that moment we held our mother's hand to pigtails and ponytails tied in the car, it's all just fleeting and you captured that short longevity so perfectly well. And you didn't just capture it, you brought it to life and made us live through it again as well. I am simply in love with this and the pictures you paint are so vivid it's almost as if I'm standing on that blacktop in the middle of recess, listening to laughing kids and the bouncing of the basketball and the plunk sound of the four-square ball and the swing of the tether ball, it's like I'm there. And this, gosh do you deserve to be picked because I am utterly irrevocably in love with this piece.

• rwong

AHHH MIR I KNOW YOURE OFF THE GRID RN SO UHHHH YOURE GONNA HAVE FUN WITH A WHOLE BUNCH OF NOTIFS WHEN YOU COME BACK AND TRUST ME I AM GONNA ADD TO IN. IN CASE YOURE CONFUSED (WHEN YOU COME BACK), YOU WON WRITER'S PICK OF THE WEEK THIS WEEK (saw it on 6/17, thurs...so your first week of camp) AHHH CONGRATSSSS IM SO PROUD OF YOUUUUUUUU <3 <3 <3

• ThatOneAntagonist

Wow, this is really amazing! Amazing job! (thumbs up)

AHH THIS IS ONE OF MY FAV PIECES BY YOU! I even have it bookmarked!! So glad this was picked!

WHAT THE HECK I AM SHELLSHOCKED THIS IS PHENOMENAL EVERY FREAKING LINE OH MY GOODNESS

• Renegade_Writer [ChildOfGod]

This is stunning! How did you......? Just wow. Wow.

Wow....this is absolutely stunning. This piece is so incredible, yeah wow....This definitely deserved to be picked I'll say that! I don't really have the words- but well, you're extremely talented!

• crystalline•galaxies

re: you should be!

• crystalline•galaxies

this feels bittersweet and nostalgic and full of longing all at once. seriously, it’s like an orchestra of feelings.

re: oh im sorry that second shot has got you down. yea the only pro to most of our friend group getting covid at the same time is now we dont have to worry bout it haha ;) im trying to finish up the last two weeks of my school as productively and quickly as i can but procrastination is hitting hard lol.
    other than that i am alright. feeling down lately so taking some vitamins which hopefully will help. im excited for the loki show coming soon! are you a marvel fan at all?
    your summer sounds busy and super fun!! i am going to a sleep away camp too in august. and then at the end of this month going to family camp with my fam and some friends. we are all so hyped. writing workshops sound fun too. me and a friend are going to try and help eachother work on our wips more. im the writer and hes the worldbuilder and we both lack the other's talents lol

re: ok lmao i'll listen to it! sounds like a good song :) glad you're feeling better! i'm alright, excited for summer (only have today and tomorrow left of school!)

re: dude fainting always sounds so romantic but honestly it's not that cool... one of my friends has fainted twice in front of me and it's mostly just worrying lol... i'm glad you're not throwing up or fainting!! and yay now you're on your way to becoming a full-time zombie XD i'll get my second shot on tuesday i believe, so that should be FUN ... well okay i had boba once because my sister decided to MAKE some and i don't have to tell you how that turned out. so. i don't consider myself to have ever actually had it XD
    anyways i'm good, just got a new bed!! it's like wood-tone and slightly rustic and compared to my old white daybed it makes my room look like something out of a fairytale and i love itt ... so yeah i'm doing well! glad for summer coming in TWO DAYS WOOOOOO
    :))
    good to hear from you!!

re: gosh i'm feeling so much better than yesterday i woke up this morning and it felt like i'd just closed my eyes to go to bed and i didn't sleep well the last two nights because i've been so congested so last night was literally paradise. i can't put it into words how amazing it feels to be a functioning human again XD glad you're doing good, that sounds like a really nice chill day! summer is quick indeed but i'm sure you'll pack it full of fun and poetry and outdoors. as will i lol.
    alright i should go to bed lol goodnighttt

re: it has been while!! I've been doing a LOT better lately. school ends in two weeks for me so im def feel happier knowing im seeing the light at the end of the tunnel lol. how are you??

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

this feels like nostalgia before it's happened and it's aching and bittersweet

re: yeppppp it's been a while since i've felt gross like this :/ but oh well, summer is coming soon im keeping my spirits up :))

• psithurism

my goodness i've been getting the same kinds of feelings lately, ack-
    re: aww thank you!! that makes me so happy. :) i've been doing pretty well, all my finals/end of year projects are stressing me out, haha. at least school is over soon for me. how's life been treating you lately? <3

re: honestly i sorta love long car trips lol i can just listen to music and i don't have to be doing anything at all... it's chill yk? duuuuuude those books sound so cool, it sounds so wonderful to just have them in your hands... i'll totally check that book out, i wrote it down so i can't forget! sounds amazing :) i've been alright, i got sick over the weekend (not covid thankfully!) so i'm home from school today... which i mean is kinda nice tbh but also i feel like crap so....
    hope you're having a wonderful day as well my friend!

Re: hahaaa I totally thought the same thing when I saw it I was just kinda like wait what meee?!? Lol thank you!! :)

• pyrrhic

re: thank you so much!! i really appreciate all the nice words! <33 you can still call me abby, i don't mind! as for how i'm doing, well, i'm really just waiting for the school year to just end already lmao. what about you?

• ChimChim_1

Okay. 1st of all the way you look at things and turn them into words is really beautiful, I really look at things from a different perspective. 2nd I R E A L L Y love the format! 3rd I love how you make memories sound different than what most people would think they are! Anyway, good job!:3:3

• Ellington Stone

This is one of the best things I've read in a while!! "i will forget; everything never happened" ...wow. There's so much emotion wrapped up in this. Thank you so much for sharing it!!

• pyrrhic

oH MY GOD. your talent really seeps through your writing. i just- hbsnjjj i can't even put words into how i'm feeling. you just- you leave me speechless. you write emotions so well and it makes me *feel things* but in the best way, even when the emotions i'm feeling aren't the best, because it means you did a great job. god i'm such a mess, can you tell?? lol

also i included you in my latest piece, it would mean a lot if you could check it out <33

okay wow mir this is - wow i know i say it a lot but this seriously took my breath away. this like wrapped me up in nostalgia omg. the ending is absolutely heartbreaking and perfect and terrible all at once (yk what i mean about terrible right, not like bad but like rips my heart out of my chest) i can't get over your writing. every single time it is so fresh and emotional and h;dslgiuhfuhla i just can't even - wow. and you've got such a unique style and it's so fitting and i'm always inspired by you you're amazing. you truly, truly have a gift with words. sometimes i feel like i'm just going along, writing all the stuff that people have already written before me -- this is like the opposite of that. this is so new and raw and i jhraglirufhakeufhsieljfh i don't know what to say! wowwowwow
    thank you, thank you for sharing your words with me.
    re: woah we've still got like two weeks left but our last week is short, can't believe the school year is ending so soon. have fun at camp! that's a long time lol. we'll miss you! my morning is going well i'm in french rn, so that's pretty fun. trying to work on my poetry book it's going slowly.... but oh well hope your day is going wonderfully

amazing. simply amazing. i cant describe it any other way. your writing is gorgeous <3 Im bookmarking this so i can read it again ;)