Starlitskies

Sri Lanka

She/Her
17
INTJ
Reader and Writer
Feminist
Coder

Go check out my WtW twin sister Zirong! She's amazing!

Scribble Chums with remi'sgotinkstains, useless :) and em wilder.

est. 26 Oct 2020

"They call us dreamers, but we're the ones who don't sleep"

"My words sound better coming from my hands than from my mouth."
(Trust me it does.)

Currently reading: This beautiful novel about love, friendship and finding oneself.... oh who am I kidding? Biology text book it is!

Book recs are always welcome whether it's fiction, poetry, self help or any other genres.

Don't hesitate to ask for reviews. Just comment on one of my pieces and I promise I'll get back to you. I refuse to grow alone.

The Assembly of Art

PROMPT: Re-Search

13
Art is intimate, almost invasive and it always seems to arrive from an unearthly corner of our existence. Maybe heavenly, maybe hellish, but continually mystifying. It seems to stem from a recess deep within us to arise as the first and last of its being: the present and the fossil, not one like the other. I used to believe that art was purely original then.

The more you research the past and the more you live in the present, the future reveals itself. There are patterns whittled down to the bones of history, like those you find in alternating floor tiles or the brown middle of a soft sunflower. And there is a quiet cadence to life that you begin to notice if you absolutely and truly belong to the moment.

And so I read Keats, studied Van Gogh, listened to symphonies by Mozart, I listened to the engine humming as the car sped along the highway, and I drank the smell of the jungle in a wild forsythia. Unknowingly, I collected these in memories, thoughts, and feelings, and when I returned to the now of things, I began to see all these contingent but cleverly assembled pieces of the now and then and the sense of being, calling itself art. 

Art isn't purely original; it's a collection of all that is life, the present, past and imagined future, chosen by an artist and gathered together as never before. At its least, art is a worthy attempt, life seeking to describe itself, but at its most, art is knowledge, a randomly mixed but perfectly matched microcosm of this human feeling.

• Avril

This is brilliant wow!! "it's a collection of all that is life"- I love that.

• Zirong

I love this interpretation of art! Artworks by Keats, Van Gogh and Mozart are absolutely extraordinary, but the art of ordinary life is amazing too :)

re: I love your constant pursuit of perfection! That's surely an INTJ thing haha! YESSS if I become a senior peer reviewer we can keep in touch here too! *hug* I'm actually starting to feel a bit nervous about my As now XD Anyway, thank you so much for your lovely reply! Also, I'll reply to your email these few days! You can look forward to it! :D
    <333

• tas (yellowbrickrd)

re: wow that you so much, literally one of the nicest comments I've ever received. I'm so honoured that you remember that Wednesday Words piece --of course I do, but wow. My top piece of advice (which really isn't that ground breaking) is read widely. I find that it's quite easy to get caught up in one genre or another, but I've found that I gain a lot more from a wide variety of books. Here's a few to get you started:

- The Secret History: (currently reading) feels like an old movie, slow and enchanting, beautiful scenery, but with quite a dark plot underneath.
    - Jane Eyre: sometimes a tough read, but you get used to the old language pretty quickly. I've never read something with such an incredible plot-line where everything slowly slots itself into place and seemly random details end up making so much sense, every character is unique and really felt.
    - In the Heart of the Sea: the true story of a whaling disaster. I did not enjoy reading this book, but was gripped by a sort of horrified fascination and dread.

Let me know if you read any of them!! What's your favourite book?

Also! I love this piece. It is so thoughtful and wise. The second paragraph is especially incredible.

re: That's so cool!!!

Also, for my piece on the same prompt, do you mind if I use the line 'The more you research the past and the more you live in the present, the future reveals itself.' as inspiration? It won't be in the piece, just written in the footnotes as inspiration for the piece....

• HighEntropy

This is so beautifully written
    The vocab is stunning.
    Art about art is another level man.

ahhh this is beautiful! i love the line 'The more you research the past and the more you live in the present, the future reveals itself' it makes so much sense!! haha i'm a bit hyper right now XD but yeah, this is wonderful!!!

I was wondering, how did you get to write for the prompt?

So so stunning

• Yellow Sweater

I love this so much! "There are patterns whittled down to the bones of history, like those you find in alternating floor tiles or the brown middle of a soft sunflower." Gah! So wonderful! We actually wrote about very similar topics, but with different spins:)