Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 17 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I'm preparing to leave for college and feeling very nostalgic. This is not a very literary piece, but... that's ok, right?

Perfume

3
Quesadillas and cotton duvet covers and cumin and dusty silence and old blankets and garage sale furniture and wet dirt and sea wind and rosemary and hand-made soap and too many condiments and too many beat-up books and too many boxes of tea and grapefruit and onions on the cutting-board and something stewing.

I hope my suitcase smells like home. 

Awwwww nooo, that's so scary! I don't even want to think about how I would feel then. But no, the use of 'and' just adds so beautifully to this because it feels like I'm walking through this and it's a stream of consciousness! Plus, anything can be literary if you act like it is haha!

• amaryllis

Gosh, I'm in school right now and so hungry for quesadillas... also CONGRATS! I haven't gotten the chance to actually read the review bc school chromebooks block the most random things. Also I AM ALSO READING OCEAN VUONG RN. which is not a big deal at all, but nice coincidences. Which college did you decide on?

And yes, that's more okay. This piece has a quiet ache to it that is punctuated with your final line.

Congrats on having the best peer review!!! It doesn't surprise me at all that you won; your reviews are so thoughtful.