CelestialNinja

Hi!
15
fantasy and sci-fi
new fan of poetry
la piña es mi vida, mi amor
"They tried to bury us. They did not know we were seeds." - Mexican Proverb

"Words gather desire inside your head
Gathering emotions, gathering feeling, gathering
Meaning, gaining a purpose other than being
Becoming something other than words, other than
Thoughts ricocheting through my mind breaking through to the
Outside, darting to others, creating a spark in their hearts
My words just start in my
Head but never end there

-They Never End There ✨

The Quiddity Quiz

PROMPT: April Grab Bag

0
  • a 200-word story that starts with the last text you sent. (by Ava Marie)
  • My last text: 'he still hasn't taken the quiz.'

"He still hasn't taken the quiz?"
          He could hear the murmurs around him. Everyday at school, as he walked home, as he rang up customers at his father's shop. All of the the other freshmen had taken the quiz already. Every living person his age and above had. It was short, simple, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. What the quiz foretold... he physically couldn't survive the consequences if he failed.
          One morning he came to breakfast and found his parents crying. He wanted to ask why, but he was late for school so he bade them each farewell before heading downstairs into the shop. He normally unlocked the door with the hidden key and flipped the open sign, but the key wasn't there.
         "Mom, where's-"
          Two men walked out of the store's backroom. He noticed they each wore weapons at their side.
          "It's time to take your quiz."
          He wrenched at the door but it wouldn't budge. "No. I'll fail. I'll die."
          "Maybe," the other man said, "You have to take it to find out."
I was going for ominous dystopia, but I wish I had more words to describe what the test was. It was almost like a test of worth: if you pass that means you could contribute to society and if you fail, it means you have no value and would only be another mouth to feed and so you would be 'sacrificed.' I tried to hint at it with the title: quiddity can mean essentiality or meaning.