Caleb Urlacher

i write poetry

you can purchase my book on amazon by searching "winter, again"

syntax, capitalization, punctuation, and grammar are overrated

this post was made by the experimental poetry gang

any

warm food, cold house

The food I miss is the soul of a cold house in Montana. We would drive up to that house yearly for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Every time we pulled into the gravel driveway, my brothers and I would be reminded of the slippery red stairs that led up to our room. We would take our shoes and socks off inside to prevent any accidents. 

I can't recall a warm day that I've spent in that house. Perhaps it was because I didn't wear socks. 

I always anticipated my great-grandma's cooking. She does things her way. I admire how she can contort flavors and textures into a great meal.

The food I miss is the soul of a cold house in Montana. He would sometimes stand outside the sliding door. I would stay back in the living room and dissolve. 

One night, we put Sesame Street on the television loudly after we all ran upstairs. It barely came through on that old TV. It was a happy episode, and it played as we pushed chairs against the door to block it. 

Every year I wait for that food. It cures every bad. I've heard the name and seen it in writing, but Google doesn't believe it exists. I sometimes check to see if someone has uploaded a recipe, but no one seems to know how to make it the way that my great-grandma does. 

It's buttery, it's fruity, it's warm. 

It's part of what makes that cold house a home.
edit: fixed some grammar

• Tachi

re: it sounds like a good class. I might try and sign up for it when I move schools if they have it. I read your comment and understand it but I'm super tired today so I can't really think up any good questions right now.

• Tachi

Re: sadly I didn't. although I'll take your word for it.

• Tachi

re: thanks for your well-written well, everything really.

I guess believing in God would be so much easier than being alone. It would be like always having someone on your side right? but It isn't the thing I can just be because I was brought up thinking that we humans were alone with no one looking out for us so It'll probably stay that way. Saying that I still want to learn about other people's religions, I wonder if there's a class for that. Maybe your right and a God does exist and if that is the case I think I would be forgiven for not believing in him for the time I didn't believe in him (there's always time for change right?). for example I've heard that Jesus died on the cross for our, humans, sins for past and future sins so that would mean he would forgive me and anyone else who doesn't believe in him. I think.

I don't think there will ever be a way to disprove or prove that there is a place after we die heaven, hell, etc. But there aren't any ways to disprove or prove any other religions either, is there? So I think that I'm fine for how I am and that I want to learn about different religions and their beliefs. We still have the problems of those who think everyone should believe in their religion because there one is right even though everyone should believe and do what they think they should. I'm not sure where this is going anymore so, I'll just give you my ideas that I've written in and see what you think.

• Tachi

re: Caleb Urlacher. your happiness be rubbing off on me because I love that your not afraid to share you feelings and morals with me and whoever you talk to. your friends seems great, I wish I knew people like that. I'm glad your in a good place :D
    I'm kinda confused because you said you originally a Christian but only really started practicing like one until a couple years ago? I don't get that do you mean you starting going to church and preying? How can you be so sure about god? how do have such a faith in him?
    also what are you pronouns?

• Tachi

re: Caleb Urlacher- you are amazing- I'm so glad I didn't offed you with that. I honestly didn't know if I should've published that. I might take it down, it doesn't make any sense. I think learning about other people religion will be fun and I wont hesitate to ask questions.
    okay that was a lie. I will hesitate plenty because thats just what I do. cant help it. I get you point of view but it might take me some time to really fully understand it? I'm still learning but I guess everyone else is to so I don't have an excuse. weird question but what were you talking about to you friend when you said "I don't believe in god but sometimes I wish I did" ?
    also- you have a book? It seems cool to have a book but I can't read it so now I'm sad- tell me Caleb Urlacher what thing did you put in your book? like what kind of work did you put in? or type of poetry?

re: ooh yay excited that the poetry collection is going well! and that novel idea sounds really cool omg! i like the idea of it being centered around humans but there aren't any left to hear it. it sorta makes me think about how perhaps that's our downfall -- we're so arrogant (as a race) that we want to be remembered but in the end there's no one to remember us. idk lol it sounds like a really cool idea :D and the idea of talking to a satellite! that could be a really cool conversation. best of luck!! :D

Re: jtzjgxkydjtsjgz DUDE thats exciting!!!! Omggg I'm not gonna press for details... BUT..
    Lol haha I hope writing goes well!! How is the poetry collection coming?

• domain.expansion

re: They both die at the end is definitely worth buying!

• Cedric Diggory

Re: What if I don't have any self confidence

• YW_H

re: thanks so much!! my new piece, 'ursula' should be out soon, if you decide to follow me hahah

• EliathRose

Replying: OK, that makes a lot more sense then. But how do you come to the conclusion that they were trying to reach heaven? I agree with everything else there, though I think that I see more unknowns in the story than explanations. I also don't believe that we could ever rival God's power on any level, it was just sort of a speculation that I had. Thanks for taking the time to talk with me, and sorry for my late response!

• aosora

your comment im cryingggg T-T hahah

also lovely, lovely piece!

• Jason_claire :)

This sounds like quite a delicious reccouring memory. I've never been to Montana, from what Google has to say, it looks like a beautiful place to go
    relying- thank you so much :)

• halle_cj

re: (even though it's been like a month since you commented on my post lmao)

ty! and I definitely would love to have you beta-read and get some advice on the whole publishing process :) the comment will get removed for having an outside link or whatever but just drop me your email or something if you want!

• EliathRose

Replying: I had a whole reply typed out, but then I saw your comment on Yellow Sweater's piece that delved deeper into your explanation, so I'm rewriting it now.
    I've never heard that version of the Tower of Babel story. Is there actual proof of it? Because from what I can tell, the motives of both the people and God are relatively unknown from the information we get from the Bible. And one of my points still stands - why would God take that much action to prevent humans from becoming too powerful? If we recreated the Babel mentality, could we technically rival God's power? I think that there's a lot of nuance to the story that we'll never get from the Bible, just because of the nature in which it was written. There's no proof that every single person was on board with building the Tower, we don't know if there was any opposition that was just squashed out by the majority, and we don't know how much the story changed as it was passed down through history. That, to me, is the fascinating thing about historical records - we just don't know what atmosphere they came from or the agendas of the people writing them or the entire culture of humanity surrounding them. There is so much that we could be getting wrong.

• Yellow Sweater

Re: oooh thanks for the tip!

• Yellow Sweater

That quote is very true. Anxiety is oddly addictive, and repetive, like a rocking chair.

• Yellow Sweater

Re: sorry I haven't responded to any of your fascinating comments. I have been really busy and I also have like four conversations going on at once on this site. I do have a lot to say. But I want to respond with quotes and sited sources, so it will probably be a couple days. I am actually in Wisconsin right now touring a college. Speaking of which, thank you for your congragulations the scholarship thing I wrote about. That was really sweet:) I am having a panic attack about having to make a decision!!!

This made me feel so cozy! Just the tiny details you added and the way you described your home and what you did there is amazing!
    Re- Aw haha<3
    for me green bananas have no taste

re: that's really nice :) i've been alright today! it's been chilly all week but hopefully it warms up a little bit today so that's nice. i have play rehearsal until 7:30 today tho lol so I won't get to enjoy the warmth much!

haha that sounds like a fun competition! i don't drink pop very often. good luck on beating your friend! :)

okay i just saw your comment on vastexpansion's piece "I Miss Having a Crush" and I just SNORTED omg

how are you today??

Re: Oh ok! Nice :)

• Ava Marie

Re: that makes more sense

• Ava Marie

Re: did you spell it correctly?? Also, google translate can be extremely finicky and unreliable

• Yellow Sweater

Also, I do believe Jesus was a historical figure. But I think of him more like the Islamic Sufi Mystics, a sacred heretic if you will. I have a bunch of complicated historical theories for why he was given divine status that I can go into later if you want, but right now I really have to do homework lol!

• Yellow Sweater

Re: thank you so much for your comment! I am going to respond in much more detail when I have time. Also, thank you for the resource! I want to get my major in religious studies and a minor in linguistics, so I am very interested in comparing different translations, and the intricacies of exegesis. Right now, I am familiar with some of the stories, but I don't really have the knowledge to do detailed technical analysis. I really want to get to that point!

• Yellow Sweater

Re: You make a good point with that verse, I hadn't thought of that. My knowledge of the bible is embarrassingly superficial (especially considering I was arrogant enough to write a piece like that) I am really glad you are referencing scripture in your explanation. I mean, I totally want to have discussions with everyone who wants to have them, but it's a little hard when I don't know the context in which a discussion should be facilitated!

I would argue that though we had creativity in The Garden, we didn't have an ideology, a constructed reality. In some ways, that scripture could actually be used to re-enforce my thesis because it shows how humanity and God spoke the same language, or at least languages that harmonized with each other. It shows that how before humanity was cast out of the garden there were no wrong answers.

Sorry, I hope you aren't bothered by me continuing the discussion. I love debating scripture and I really want to learn more about the bible. I have only read part of it. The role of names is something I find especially fascinating.

Also sorry for my terrible grammar, I was typing this really fast!