yapyapxy

Senior Peer Reviewer
the world is wide enough

Not sure if the jargon makes it tough to read, but hope it's interesting!

(Is it me, or do people have those torturous stretches of days when they question their ability as a writer? Any suggestions as to how do you overcome this second-guessing?)

Our actions are a fraction of us

1
Aristotle once said, “We are the sum of our actions, and therefore our habits make all the difference.” What that statement implies is that each action determines who we are.
Today, let’s do something a little different and take the reverse: our actions are the subtractions of us.
For any mathematician (or student) learning about probability – that strange, abstract concept that chance is definite and fate is predictable – the rule is that we sum up mutually exclusive events. If one happens, the other does not happen. Hold onto that thought while we consider another rule in probability: we multiply dependent events.
In our world where reality unfolds in a linear way, events are naturally dependent. For instance: I forget to buy my friend a present, the surprise is ruined, and said friend bears a grudge against me…forever. Now, I was kidding (clearly), but we can henceforth safely conclude that current events unfold based off past events – events which are formulated by our actions.
Logically, then, the statement “we are the sum of our actions” is not true, which makes the proposed idea of multiplying events together true. I may only be considering the basic orders of operations, but since the other mathematical orders are based off these basic ones, for now (and for the sake of the non-mathematically inclined), they suffice.
I suppose it’s not quite as romantic to say “we are the multiple of our actions.” Consider the reverse, however, that our actions are the divisions of us.
When we subtract, we take away part of the whole. Actions theoretically, therefore, represent part of us. From that statement, it can be assumed that every moment is a selective part of you, because your whole being isn’t thrust into consideration. When we divide, on the other hand, we take away a fraction of the whole. Actions, then, represent a fraction of who we are.
You, and every single person, are made out of an amalgamation of memories that contribute to your overall personality. Your personality and your thinking, which determine your actions, is in fact a culmination of an entire life’s worth of experience.
Perhaps you choose to show a certain side of you in a particular timeframe. To that instance, there lies an implicit assumption: it must be appropriate to act this way, somehow. This understanding is possible from combining the multitude of experiences that we have accumulated. The actions in our lives thus represent a fraction of who we have become, much like what division represents.
All our lives, we will be ruled by time. Time has recorded our actions even from the time we were yet born, and will continue doing so well past our lives.
It is hence always timely to ask yourself, are my actions, multiplied, equating me into who I want to be?