Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

Dialectics

20
I gave my protagonist a lover because he needed a reflection. He needed someone to show him his curves. We become conscious when we see ourselves, when we're seen by our mirrors. It takes two to tango. 

There's no introspection without extrapolation. A thinker needs a point of reference, a ground zero for the explosion. Fall to the earth and kiss the dirt! There's no sky without a horizon. 

Perhaps I am being naively dualist. Perhaps we'll find transcendence in an orgy. Perhaps we carry a secret knowledge of how the world turns under our skin. Perhaps that's what drives our ecstatic twirling.  

But you can’t deny the stories in our night sky. The figures we have etched into smooth space. We play connect the dots and form our Gods from sinew.

• August 14, 2021 - 2:04pm (Now Viewing)

• _streaks_of_stars_

oh wow. THIS IS SO GOOD!!! I LOVED THISSS

• kaylasghost

this is incredible, i love the last line the most "We play connect the dots and form our Gods from sinew" but all of it is adkfkfdkladf

• wishtree (semi ia)

re: ahh that sounds so exciting! and wow it does sound mildly terrifying, i am absolutely terrible at putting stuff together on a deadline but good luck!! i feel like titles are fun to brainstorm but i'd be absolutely terrible at picking just one, you know? i'd overthink it way too much. when it does come out do let me know! i love your writing (you're one of my favorite authors on here) and i'll do my best to get a copy :D

• wishtree (semi ia)

hi this is mind-boggling stunning. "There's no introspection without extrapolation." this has my gears turning. all of this fits together so well. man.

also you're publishing a BOOK?? THAT'S SO COOL PLEASE TELL ME MORE

dont know how i never read this but WOW.

• amaryllis

*blinks at screen* "I gave my protagonist a lover because he needed a reflection"... AND THEN ONLY THREE SENTENCES LATER "There's no introspection without extrapolation. A thinker needs a point of reference, a ground zero for the explosion." If you ever finish that chapbook of yours, I'll need to buy like 5 to give to everyone I know (I'm kinda broke, people will have to share) so that I can see their faces when it all hits. This has to be one of my favorite of your pieces for sure. I'll be mulling over those lines for the rest of the evening. RIP AP chemistry. Also, I might just have to write a piece from the POV of your protagonist's lover.

• Jo Rejoicing [ChildOfGod]

Re: As a Christian, I read the Bible not as a work of fiction, but as the history of the world. I believe everything in the Bible. It's hard to tell sometimes whether something is symbolic or literal, though, but as for books like Genesis, they are true historical accounts. And love can be expressed through obedience. I obey people I love because I want to help them out. "To obey is better than sacrifice" (1 Samuel 15:22) Anyway, I respect your opinions, but as a 2 on the Enneagram, I am a helper! I respect your beliefs, but I hope you find Christ and learn the truth. I love you, and our magnificent Creator loves you infinitely more!

• Figwit [HIATUS]

This is so absolutely beautiful! I love it :)
    Re: Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

RE: Aww, thank you so much! And haha, well, I don’t want to reveal the exact thing which happens cause then it’ll spoil the plot (plus, as I write, maybe I might change my mind) but I probably should have worded it a bit clearer. The conclusion which is disrupted isn’t his actual paper but what will happen after he publishes it (if that makes sense lol). But anyways thank you! I’m just finishing the first chapter right now, I can let you know when I’m done if you want! (Or not cause keeping up with series’ are definitely taxing and that’s completely ok too! :)

Hey Zinniav! I got a notification that you liked my book idea piece and I was just wondering if you could tell me what you thought of it? (you can give me your honest opinion with no hard feelings at all, it's just something I randomly came up with) (of course, if you accidentally liked it, you can completely ignore this) Hope you're having a great day! :)

• kathryn siena

re: yeah. I want to be her when I grow up. she's awesome. also, it sucks that they took it off of netflix. I had finished the show a week before they did that. but, if you have HBO max, all seasons are there.

• kathryn siena

re:
    close!
    1. spanish
    7. Indonesian

and I totally agree. There should have been way more powerful roles for women in that show. though, donna was pretty badass towards the end of the show.

i don't know how to put this into words exactly but something about how you write is really melodic? like, if you read aloud, "There's no introspection without extrapolation. A thinker needs a point of reference, a ground zero for the explosion. Fall to the earth and kiss the dirt! There's no sky without a horizon", i feel like it would roll very smoothly off the tongue, like food for your ear. there are some really gorgeous lines in this piece, too, i love your style of writing!
    quick aside, i also read ocean vuong and i have italo calino on my to-read. i finished watching derry girls recently too, it kills me that there's only six episodes.

• Ramses IV

re: no problem :)

• Ramses IV

I really do hope that this doesn't sound too weird but, I think your mind is very beautiful. Like you know how people's minds are like places, some dark, some scenic? I just feel like your thought process is really creative, and I love reading your work.