River Rae

I love:
-Vaquitas (it's an animal)
-Wolves
-Reading
-Writing
-Singing
-Learning
-My dogs

+INFJ
+Libra
+She/Her

"I needed a home, so I picked up a pen and made one." - Me

I believe every story can make a difference to someone.
Even the most insignificant story could be the most impactful of it's time.
So look up from the computer screen and out at the world.
Then write what matters.

The world was breaking. And now it's broken.

I have always been good at seeing both sides of the story. Always had my own opinion, but always listened to the opinion of others. Most people can’t do that.
    But then there was this time I was on a road trip, at a gas station filling up the car. These people were five steps at most from the trash can but instead they rolled down their window and threw their plastic out of it.
    That is the one thing I have never been able to see the other side to. Because there shouldn’t be another side. Climate change is real. Littering is bad. Our carbon emissions need to be cut down immediately. We need to stop killing endangered species.
    This isn’t an opinion. This isn’t prioritizing what I think is important. This is prioritizing what is important. And yet it’s being swept under the rug like some parasite that will go away over time instead of growing bigger.
    We are slaughtering animals for meat but when you look at your bacon you don’t see the death. I mean Hitler saw the death in that and he was murdering thousands of human beings. I’m not saying he wasn’t a monster, because he was, but it’s kind of ironic.
    You blame wolves and fear them, portraying them as the villain. But when wolves were removed from yellowstone the entire ecosystem collapsed. You say you don’t like wolves and bears and mountain lions because they kill deer, but we are killing deer. Hunting them with guns that end up in the wrong hands and arrows that we don’t even know how to create.     We give the power of death to those who won’t be able to handle it because they’re too childish and irresponsible to take accountability for their actions. We blame others because we aren’t willing to face the heat of our actions. Unwilling to see if our morals will withstand the heat of battle and scrutiny of society and so we hide and point fingers at the innocent.
    Don’t you dare come crying to me to fix your problems because I warned you they were coming. One of my favorite animals, the Vaquita, has less than ten members less. I warned you this would happen.
    So don’t come crying to me when the last of your favorite animal dies.
    Don’t cry to me when there are no more rhinos or lions or birds.
    Don’t come crying to me when your children don’t know what a monkey is.
    Don’t come crying to me when the land is war torn and people are fighting over insects because they are starving.
    Don’t come crying to me when you’re choking on air coated with pollution.
    Don’t come crying to me if the last drop of water disappears.
    If your beloved pet was killed for food.
    If you forgot what dogs and cats look like.
    If you forgot what compassion is.
    What a hug feels like.
    How chocolate tastes.
    What your favorite animal is.
    Who you last exchanged a kind word with.
    When you last were happy.
    Why you turned a blind eye to pain.
    The last time you weren’t afraid.
    The last time you weren’t fighting for everything you have.
    Do you remember? Do you remember when you last smiled?
    When you could breath and the air wasn’t suffocating?
    When the storms weren’t raging?
    When we had everything we could ever need but we were ruining it because we never could see the world was breaking?     Do you remember how I warned you?
    Do you remember how you didn’t listen?
    How you said we have plenty of time to fix it?
    How you ignored my warnings?
    Don’t you dare come crying to me. I told you this would happen. But you were too blind to see the world was breaking. And now it’s broken. Your concern is a little late.

• May 25, 2022 - 9:24am (Now Viewing)

• watermelons_words

So true. I love the word choice and overall truth.
    *website for vaquitas for anyone who’s intrested*
    https://www.aquariumofpacific.org/blogs/5_things_to_know_about_the_vaquita

• HighEntropy

very moving.. the last lines are very poetic

• The_Sunrise_Queen

oh my gosh this is soo passionate and it is exactly how I feel!!!!!!!!!!! this sort of thing makes me so mad but also scared at the same time, because I do want my kids to grow up happy and know what different animals are and have enough food and water.

• ava_grace

This is amazing! My favorite part was when you said "Don't come crying to me..." That spoke volume.

• kat crispo

re: thank you:)

• Kasilee

But you were too blind to see the world was breaking, and now its broken. Is my favorite line. This is absolutely beautifully written!!! Amazing job!

• AspenbytheOcean

Wow! This was very moving to read. My favorite line was "We give the power of death to those who won’t be able to handle it because they’re too childish and irresponsible to take accountability for their actions. We blame others because we aren’t willing to face the heat of our actions." It really makes you stop and think about what you are responsible for.