Paisley Blue

they/them | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

the sound of rain

not sure i really did this correctly.... i kinda started out doing what it told me to and then everything just kinda flew to the wind... it was really fun diving into the description! those of you who know me well know that description is one of my favorite things to focus on in both poetry and fiction writing. :)

the view from the hollow

inside the tree, there is a hollow. the hollow has been there for many years, and has done many jobs. it has been a handhold, a cup-board, a fairy house, a trash bin, a squirrel nest. next to it grows a branch, and wrapped around the branch is a jump rope. the hollow is swirled with bark, stained grey with the dismal weather.

inside the tree, there is a hollow. if one peered into the hollow, having balanced precariously on tip-toe to see, they would find an old braided rope bracelet, a couple of acorn caps, and a bit of tin from an old can, painted glittery pink. a bird lands on the branch next to the hollow, and pecks at the old jump rope, making the plastic handles sway. a squirrel scampers up the side of the tree and chases the bird away from the hollow. he doesn't try to fit his plump body inside; rather, he scratches at the jump rope, and then his own ear. above him, the sky is a muddled grey, and rain light as mist is falling, staining the hollow, marking it with spring-time.

inside the tree, there is a hollow. the sun bleaches the hollow and the rain darkens it, a cycle repeated through the years. it becomes a time capsule, with its layers upon layers of bark and dirt. the hollow sees the brightest of summer days and the darkest winters. within it, the bracelet is withered and faded, the acorn caps have sagged and slouched into the corners, and the tin has rusted. squirrels have nested, birds have pecked, and years have passed. and still it stands firm as the tree stands firm.

1

• Caleb Urlacher

wow! this is great!

re: My day has been going well. I'm feeling very in touch spiritually with God. It's pretty cool. How are you?

Ps glad you laughed lol. I'm actually quitting soda and it's been really good lol. I'm having a little competition with a friend to see who can go longer.

• crystalline•galaxies

re: the gay longing is STRONG on this fine morning.

• Wisp

Replying: Haha, oh no worries, you're totally fine Paisley. If anything I should apologize, I've been absolutely horrid with responding to comments lately, I know there's a bunch a days between my responses so my apologies! And you have nothing to worry about, you've always been a joy to talk to, no matter the length between responses ;)
    You're always so sweet hon, you always know how to make me smile and you always manage to write comments that hit me in the heart (in a good way of course).
    Honestly same, I had no idea what it was until I started reading it in other peoples' writing. And yeah, I know what you mean! There's just certain 'writer' words that are reoccuring in writing. Aw that's the absolute sweetest! I adore that so much. There's not much rain here, but it's been getting warmer these days so that's been nice. It really feels like summer is quickly approaching, which is kinda hard to believe honestly.
    That's good! Going back in-person was certainly a test on my nerves on the first day, but all-in-all it was so great seeing live people. I'm glad it went well for you too and I hope the rest of the year continues to do the same!
    Nothing new really, I honestly just rant about my homework more than I should and in my free time write or hop on WtW or read webcomics haha. I have been reading a book recently called "The Memory Police" by Yoko Ogawa, and I'm absolutely loving it. How about you? How has life been treating you? Anything good happening or anything you're looking forward to?
    Sending immeasurable love my darling constant! <3

• psithurism

re: ahhh thanks elliot! :]

• crystalline•galaxies

re: aw, thank you so much! i appreciate it.

• Wisp

Replying: Every time I read your comments, my heart always skips a beat Paisley. You always have the sweetest things to say, and they encompass all I want to encompass in the piece. That one especially means a lot to me, so to read your comment is just ahh!!
    Okay, so at first for some reason I thought petrichor was a type of gas or something?? I don't know why I thought of it like that but I did haha, I was so shocked when I found out it was the smell of rain. But yes! The whole ambiance of it is so serene and I could just listen to the rain all day long.
    Yeah, it was a little overwhelming at first, but it's nice to be back and actually SEE people in real life, instead of through a screen! Like I didn't realize how much I missed it haha.
    Aw, I'm sure you don't butcher it up as bad as you think! And yes, French sounds like such a sweet language.
    Sending my deepest affections my constant! Wishing you the grandest of days! <3

RE: Aw thank you! And haha yeah, I'm cool with it- I always want to improve! :)
    Of course!

Wow, I love this! You took your own take on this prompt which was really cool. And yeah, you must love description because it really shows like wow, I can totally imagine this so so so vividly! There's just enough descriptions to keep the reader hooked but not too much that it's boring. "it becomes a time capsule" was such a cool way to add personality to this tree hollow!
    p.s. since you're amazing at descriptions, I'd love it if you could check out my piece Kisses of Fire and let me know what you think. And if not, no worries of course :))

• psithurism

re: Ahh thanks Elliot! Ilysm, gosh you have no idea what that means to me. You're so intelligent and talented and amazing and I am so, so, so lucky to have you as my friend.
    PS: Your new message in your bio is awesome, I can totally relate.

• sunshinetea

Re: thank you!

• Mespotz

This piece is so beautiful! I especially like how you described the hollow over time, and how it's got a long history, yet it stands as firm as when it first grew. That's a powerful metaphor.

RE: Thank you so much!

• rwong

re: ahhh don't worry about reviewing, i get it!! school gets vv busy and also your musical sounds so busy!! ahh wishing you best of luck bc that sounds sooo tiring so take care!! have an amazing day!! <3 <3 <3

elllllaaaa paaaisssllly bllueee, how do you do? tell me things. i suck at conversation but i want to talk to you, my blue. um let us see... what name would you choose for yourself if you could? i have absolutely no idea. i like the name narah, but not for myself. hmm. if i could pick your name, it would be either ellis (ellis just makes me think of a smiling person that laughs a lot and i know you love that name too) or marin (pronounced as ma-rin, not mar-in). oh okay so today is a beautiful day outside, dappled sunlight and a breeze. a day cold in shadow but warm in sunlight. the flowers are starting to bloom. spring is in the air! have a marvelous day! <3<3<3

• rwong

um okay wow this tab has been opened on my computer for far too long and how in the hekkin world would i miss this??? like omg this is beautfiul ell and the imagery and the picture you paint and the character you give to the hollow and it's just so whimsical and fastasy-esque and fun and like imagination yk? (i'm sure that didnt make sense. you may blame the math test i have tomorrow) but seriously ell like oh. my. goodness. this blew me away and its just so sweet and this piece really is a time-capsule as you describe it. okay yk what just refer to the below comments bc i think they explained my thoughts in a more coherent way but i love love love this ahhh asdl;kfj;aslkd sending love <3 <3 and imma end this comment before it gets too long and incoherent. oh and one last thing, how have you been?

• crystalline•galaxies

oh my word. you’ve gone and done it again, haven’t you? i don’t think i’ve read anything quite like this, but i’m so glad that i have now. the way you weave all of these different imageries and pieces of imagination into each and every one of these descriptions is just delicious. the first one feels whimsical, almost as if there is always life happening inside of the tree at all times, perhaps different reincarnations of the same being returning to the same spot throughout time (i’m letting my imagination run absolutely wild with this). the second feels fresh and new, smelling of life and color. the third feels nostalgic, as if something once lived here but has now left — kind of like the feeling you get when you look at an old building and imagine the life that used to happen inside of it.

• Wisp

Replying: You are the absolute SWEETEST my gosh Paisley. You are such a talented writer yourself, so OF COURSE I always love your pieces. You have no idea how much my heart skips a beat whenever you show up on the dashboard or in my notifications.
    Aww that's nice. I really love petrichor, it's one of the best parts about rain, that and the way it sounds tapping against a window at night. One of my favorite things ever honestly. I'm so sorry you've been busy, we all need a break honestly, it'd be great if we had another break after spring break and before summer break haha. It went well today! It was good to see other people after a year, it was kinda awkward a little though haha. Ooh French sounds like such a light and bubbly language to learn! It kinda reminds me of bubbles in champagne for some reason haha. Hope in-person goes well for you too!
    Aww honey!! That's so sweet!! You're one of my best friend on WtW as well, you are such a ray of sunshine and I love you so dearly my darling constant. Sending so so so much more love than you can even fathom and I hope your day is full of joy!

• Karma’s_Coming

Heyooo, a new part is out in the Reagan and Caspian series if you want to check that out. Hope you have a lovely day <3

• Just_A_Memory

Re: thank you! I’ve only had one more dream of him of late, as I’ve hardly been sleeping (painsomniac over here) I could decide whether I wanted to post it or not though.

good to hear from u blue! im fine in spanish class rn doing okay have a big mth placement test today so nervous for that but ill do okay and yeah havent written in a while but i wrote that piece and pretty proud of it! feeling like summer almost which is crazy and also global warming why!!!??? how are u, ell?<3

• Wisp

Ahhh, your imagery is simply DIVINE my dearest constant. I love how you tell this tale of time with something as simple as a hollow of a tree. There's something whimsical about it, something magical and lovely and all around beautiful. The way you ingrain different stories into this one image, my goodness am I blown away. You meld multiple versions of this tree into one page, meld stories that transcend time into your words and it astounds me, the way all of it flows in such a beautiful way. It's like you take us through the years, take us through different stages of life and you do all of that all by focusing on this tree. The descriptions of animals as well, it's just utterly without a doubt a wonder to read and I am in awe of it my dear.
    Replying: [Sorry for a late reply hon!!] Happy very very belated welcome back!! I've missed you, and you're right, having conversations that are replied once a week doesn't really feel like a conversation haha. It's been absolutely beautiful outside these days, the sun is shining and it all feels very exciting. I'm going back in-person for school tomorrow so I'm a little scared, a little excited, and a little bit of everything haha, how about you? How have you been? Good I hope?
    And about the comment on that piece, just thank you so much for that Paisley. Like it's hard for people to understand if they don't experience it themselves, but you don't make your lack of understanding belittling, it feels like you truly truly care and that is something I wholeheartedly thank you for. Your support and love and everything means the world to me my dearest constant.
    Also!! Is that me I see in your message box? Honestly what did I do to deserve you? I love you so so much and I cannot tell you how seeing that brought such a wide smile onto my face! I hope all's well with you and I'm sending my tenderest affections!

• almost flora kane

i love how this begins the same and yet, veers off into its own description. the way you were able to bring in details for each paragraph, especially about the squirrels!
    re: honestly don't know about your comment on the crush piece but yes. and thank you so much for the compliment about my comp piece, it means so much from you seeing as you're a very accomplished writer!

• Busssy.Beee

re: haha, long live Gerard the Pineapple! ;) speaking of pineapple, do you like them on pizza? i know some people who do extremely strange things with pizza hahaha. my best friend orders pizza with no cheese (not because she's lactose) and have another friend who puts the randomnest toppings on the pizza lol xP

• Yes_iKnowimShort

I-
    wow- this was sooooooo good!!!!

• nolongeractive

Ohhhhh wow I loveee this!!! It is so unique and honest, and I love the way that you used the physical and mental descriptions within the piece!! You have so much talent and I cannot wait to see what else you come up with!

• psithurism

re: Aww thanks Ell! <3

• elliem

I really like this, especially because each of the three different descriptions has such a starkly different aesthetic from the others. I can't decide which of the three descriptions I like best. Amazing as always. :)

• psithurism

OMG PAISLEY. i. absolutely. love. this.

"above him, the sky is a muddled grey, and rain light as mist is falling, staining the hollow, marking it with spring-time."
    "within it, the bracelet is withered and faded, the acorn caps have sagged and slouched into the corners, and the tin has rusted. squirrels have nested, birds have pecked, and years have passed."
    ahhhh ok i love this so much! nostalgic and beautiful and just infused with... lifeeee! amazing, ella, ok i read this like three times already and wow. thats all i go, wow. and hey how doth tho? reading a tree grows in brooklyn rn and i think you would really like it-- kinda like little women where like nothing technically happens but its just about life, about epxierence, about the simple joys. anyway, hope your day is going welll... <3<3<3

• Busssy.Beee

gosh, this is just wonderful! your diction is just amazing, and your imagery is flawless. the repetition of "inside the tree, there is a hollow," gives this piece such a poetic flow and grace. stunning!

re: ahhh! sorry this is a day late, but im glad life's been good! i do hope it grows less busy in the next couple of days! my day has been quite a mess, honestly hahaha. my sister is learning to swim, and gosh, she's been smelling of chlorine everywhere she goes now xP uhmm, well, i had to start learning to edit videos for school, so that's been quite a tiring process, but fun nonetheless. how abt you?

Wow, I simply adore this. Description is a delight to read and write, and I can feel how enrapturing this piece was to write in the way the words speak.

• Love, Rose

Re: thank you so much
    btw this is absolutely stunning - wow