rwong

~average teen writer/poet~
lover of historical fiction books (especially WWII)
dog lover
pianist
musical lover

joined september 19, 2020

say hi to my amazing wtw friends: mirkat, Paisley Blue, lochnessie, and SunV
and my irl friend: JMkittycat

"never dim the light that shines from within." - maya angelou
"poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words." - robert frost
"all you have to do is write one true sentence. write the truest sentence that you know." - ernest hemingway

dear society,

dear society,

hi. we need no introduction; you've been watching me since childhood--
once too young to understand, too small in a world so grand, too quiet to take a stand;
you were the first home i knew so i grew up believing home was never safe
for how can one be safe from your judging eyes?

you are a dictionary with messed-up definitions
where "cool" matters more than "kind," "trendy" more than "trusted,"
somehow i've lost myself in your maze of weighted words
pressing in on me from all sides so sometimes it's hard to breathe;

i've scoured your pages for the meaning of me:
there's a page on how you view me as though i'm some op-ed column
belonging on the back of the paper, scribbled with everyone's opinion except my own
stop pretending like you know me;

because i say whoever gave you the right to write my story was wrong--
i hold the pen, you may be the setting but i will use my own words
pulled not from your dictionary but from the stars,
for there true beauty lies, and only there can i find words all weighed the same.

i'm still learning to love the parts of me that you'll never see
scars still linger from when you tried to brand me "just another girl"
but know that i refuse to be molded into your norms that you say i must be
for the things that make me different are the things that make me.

so dear society, i have yet to find a way out of you but until then, i will look towards the stars for no two stars are alike, and i think to myself one day, that could be me.
ack this is aks;ldf not my best so all reviews appreciated!! will totally do review4review
hope y'all are well!! sending love <3 <3

• In Which Yaya Writes

Review submitted!

• In Which Yaya Writes

Hello! So, uh, recently, I read a review that you wrote for someone else, and I was just like, “Wow, she did an amazing job with that.” So I came over here to ask of you would review my entry for the competition, what the biggest eyes of vision see. And it looks like you’re doing review-for-review, so I’ll write you a review in exchange!

Also, I really really love this, especially this line, “i will use my own words
    pulled not from your dictionary but from the stars.” Wow! Amazing! I love how this poem criticizes “society,” without being too in-your-face. I also like how you pictured society as one big person. Amazing job with this!

• (sk)eyesofocher

this is amazing. the power and just musicality of the whole thing... ah just yes.

brilliant, how did i miss this?!?!? wow, can't wait to see what you do with this if this is only a rough draft :) it's already so good!! sadly i'm super busy this week (hooray for musical rehearsal 24/7) so i don't think i'll be able to review it but i really do like it!!! :D yay :)
    and thank you for your sweet comment on my piece!! you're so nice omg. i always love seeing comments from you!! i've been well, like i said super busy. 3-ish hours of play rehearsal every weeknight, and then on saturdays 4 ish hours. actually, this saturday we have our first tech rehearsal, so it's gonna be 7 HOURS.... 9-4. i'm gonna be exhausted by the end of it lol!!
    how are you doing???

• crystalline•galaxies

ok i forgot to read this piece earlier but it’s absolutely fantastic! the power in this... it’s lovely.
    re: i think it is probably one of the first rhyming pieces i’ve ever posted on here, as i usually don’t like doing it very much. but i’ve also been struggling with a horrible writer’s block and writing rhyming pieces is more mechanical so it’s easier to do when i’m in that headspace. and i’ve been doing alright. what about you?

eeeee yessss sounds just like a spoken word thing-- very powerful
    "somehow i've lost myself in your maze of weighted words
    there's a page on how you view me as though i'm some op-ed column
    belonging on the back of the paper, scribbled with everyone's opinion except my own"
    okay wow my fav part ever!!! i relate to this so much. amazing work shelllll <3<3<3

• lochnessie

REVIEWINNNNNGGGGG

• lochnessie

omigosh shell i -
    okay, so you have to do this as spoken word. there is no question. i read it out loud because it literally just jumps off the screen omigosh. pleaseeeeee. (and thank u for lovely comment/pending review)

• agathokakological

This is beautiful! It really hits home for me, being a LGBTQ+ person who feels very pressured by society to conform to the cisgender and heterosexual norms. keep up the good work!