Nyla

15

So idk, I kind of felt like writing this. It's all real (I fictionalized the actual address cause yknow, privacy, or whatever) but um, when I was in grade 7 my grandmother passed away from cancer and this is based on that. It’s been three years but I still call it my grandparents' home. Also I know it says not to reference geography but everyone in my extended family (my grandparents’ house is like the headquarters lol) calls it by the street name so that’s a part I just really wanted to keep :)

120 Cherry Road

Home is 120 Cherry Road.
It's my grandparents' house that's being trapped in a permanent bear hug with the houses beside it.
My extended family flows in and out like a waterfall.
It's the big banner saying "Welcome Home" when we visit for the summer.
The delicious pizza from the place down the street, toppings so plentiful they fall off as I bring the piping slice to my mouth- I've never had pizza like that anywhere else.
It's running into my grandparents' open arms at the airport and falling asleep in the car till I feel that familiar lull in the movement. 
The constant rain as necessary to me as food and the zooming cars I can't seem to sleep without.
Hairspray and makeup remover filling my nostrils when I enter my aunt's room and my grandfathers' special cologne that I inhale in his warm embrace.
My grandmother's sweet flowery perfume and elegant clothes. Her food I thought I would never be able to live without, packed with flavour and every spice imaginable and even as a child I could take it all because it was my grandmother's. She would promise to teach me to sew and I would defer it till our next visit.
Sitting in the chair in front of the t.v. to take advantage of their cable package which includes Disney and seeing my grandparents, in love, watching their Bollywood dramas if I needed a sip of water before bed, the thrumming music filling my head.
Running outside to take the clothes down from the line wearing the closest slippers to the glass door.
Always screaming "not it" when it came time to grab the Hagan Das ice cream bars from the creepy shed.
My aunts perfectly positioning the wig on my grandmother's head and me frying my hair off trying to straighten it as we get ready for a wedding.
Even though my grandmother started spending her days elsewhere, this was her home.
It wasn't eating at Mcdonald's because that was the closest to the hospital.
Never the hot chocolate the nurses would give me or the adult colouring books I would attempt in the break room.
Not the fact that I can't stitch a straight line and I saw my strong mother crumble.
Sometimes I go into her sewing room to smell the fabric, look at her scissors, and sometimes, I swear, I see her looking back at me, mending my clothes. 
Home is calling it my grandparent's house, even after one of them is gone.

• aaliyahh

omg this is so sweet!! i felt the emotions, and it was just a sweet piece all together!! <3

• McK13

Re: omg! awww thank you so much! You are way too sweet! Literally I don’t know how you are so incredibly kind and such a talented writer!! I’m always talking about how we need to think of our dreams as possibilities instead of as things we could never accomplish because I think people tend to say their dreams won’t or can’t come true but someone’s has to so anyways, I’m glad you liked that line I put in! Ooh, I can’t believe you caught how “dawn of my reflection” connected to the mirror line at the end, so kudos to you for noticing!! :) My comp writing can in no way touch yours so don’t stess or worry about reviewing mine! I might actually change it because I found this piece I wrote around a year ago that I might edit and submit but most likely it’ll be that piece which I still need to fix up - why are there only 24 hours in a day ugh!! Lol!! Aww, well I’m so amazingly happy and grateful that I am able to call you my friend and I love these conversations we share! Awww!! I can’t keep smiling from your reaction to my comment lol! You deserved every single compliment and you are so incredibly talented!! Reply to first comment: Yes, your 100% right! Whenever we actually have things to do and places to go, we think of how we can manage our time but when we are given so much free time, we don’t realize that we procrastinate. It’s so annoying!! It’s crazy how I don’t recognize how much schoolwork I have when I’m at home lol! Glad I could remind you :) yep, you totally should! Sometimes people have congratulated me on like 5k medals I won back when I was 9, 10, and 11 and I still take full credit lol! Very true! Yeah, it is pretty fun! Though I’m not the biggest fan of rollercoasters and sometimes lines get really long but in the end it’s really fun and a cool activity to do with friends! LOL, yeah I thought I would just give a disclaimer XD! Though I really wish I were! I really love music and I like writing lyrics but it’s kind of just poetry. Anyways, I have this keyboard in my room that I got for my birthday like 2 years ago because I really wanted to learn how to play and I still haven’t...I recently tried looking for a teacher online so we could like Zoom but then I decided that sounds really difficult and I’d much rather get in-person instruction so I’ll probably have to wait until after the pandemic. Ooh, taekwondo sounds like so much fun!! Lol!! Of course you had to go to the camps especially when the classes were so short! What did they expect you were going to during the rest of the day? LOL! So did you enjoy it? Yeah, that’s for sure but you never know if something is delicious unless you try it so I’ll definitely have to make it :) Bummer, well cricket still seems like a pretty interesting sport! Ohh, well when we play basketball in the yard, throw around a football, or pass a volleyball, most of the bets are like “You have to play barefoot for the rest of the game, if I can make this shot with my eyes closed and if not, then I do” or “If I serve 10 in a row without missing, then you have to do 20 push-ups but if I don’t, then I have to”. I think you get the idea. Most of the time, my brother and I bet and unfortunately most of the time I lose lol! Aww, well thank you again! Hmm... I would much rather play in the snow because I feel like there’s more to do with the snow like snowball fights, building snowmen, etc while there’s less to do with rain (does that make sense?) How about you? And here’s a few other questions! Are you a morning or night person? Big city or small town person? Favorite season? Hope you have a terrific day/night as well :) And omg this is like an essay-long comment, sorry, but great job making it to the end!!

• McK13

I don’t have words - this is is just so tearjerking but the way you explain your grandparents’ home is so genuine that it feels as if I lived through it. It’s as if I’m looking at the world through your perspective and it’s just impeccable! You go into detail so much when you say things like “Always screaming "not it" when it came time to grab the Hagan Das ice cream bars from the creepy shed” and “ The delicious pizza from the place down the street, toppings so plentiful they fall off as I bring the piping slice to my mouth- I've never had pizza like that anywhere else”. Your words are also so relatable, making it 10x more emotional! And at the ending my heart breaks for you but it’s amazing that you have such wonderful memories and that your grandparents’ house is still your home. Reply coming in next message :)

• nolongeractive

This is so beautiful and I love all of the meaning and signifigance behind all of your work, it is simply breathtaking!! I miss you, you are the best! I hope you are well, Nyla!

• LadyBug...

RE: I checked out the poem, it's so beautiful! Thank you so much!

• useless :)

re: aw thank you!! haha thanks, i try to make them creative-ish, but it normally takes a while and i end up disliking most of the ones i think of. so i'm not really that good XD
    yeah, it sucks haha. mine hasn't really gotten better, hence falling asleep at three and waking up at ten today lol. i do use my computer at night, but it's not bc i don't want to fall asleep, i really do...i've tried falling asleep without it a couple times, and i ended up staring at the ceiling while thinking about random stuff. i realized this kinda makes me sound like, not okay XD, but i'm just a night owl...or i think that i have insomnia or something, but idk if i should self-diagnose when i'm not sure.
    alright, enough of thatt
    no problem! ohh okay. thanks haha. yeah, it makes sense ppl would want to go somewhere with an opposite climate as theirs, bc while i'm pretty sure most ppl would love the beach bc it's all nice and sunny and stuff, it's like, iM tIrEd oF tHe bEaCh
    so my ideal vacation would probably be skiing somewhere...i've only gone once, in colorado, but skiing was amazing :D
    luckyyy. oh lol...shoveling the driveway doesn't sound fun, although i still like the idea of snow XD
    i used to live in ny so my sense of hot and cold is different than most ppl's here, but maybe it's just that i have a tendency towards colder weather bc my mom is like, "it's so cold!" when it's below sixty or seventy degrees while for me it's like, "finally :D" bc lemme tell you, that's RARE (i promise i'm not screaming either XD)
    ah...florida in october is cold? try summer hehe
    i don't think your sense of hot and cold is messed up any more than ours is lol. we just have really different climates.
    most "floridian" thing i do...not sure actually, lol. hmm. i mean, i go around in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops almost all winter, but that's pretty normal here. for food/drinks floridians like, i pretty much hit all the marks haha. i love oranges, ice cream, iced tea, frozen yogurt, seafood, key lime pies...idk why but those are the most "floridian" things i can think of for food, except barbecues and grits and stuff but that's more on the general southern side lol

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: haha! Well, thank you! XD Yeah, I love pizza in general, lol.
    Ah, cool! Mine would have to be the Hunger Games movies (but it could change, heheh).
    Great idea about the would you rather’s
    The rain! Snow is so cold, and getting soaking wet can be so much fun. And running in the rain, looking for somewhere to stay dry.... it’s so nostalgic. What about you?

• ~madeline~

Re: hehe thanks! Yeah Billie Eilish has such an artistic style and also kinda dark so I think that’s what made me write this but again who knows...

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: haha, yes! And Mary Moo Cow, lolllll legendary! XD
    Okay, I gotcha! Ooh, that sounds good! Haha, I won’t criticize your pizza preferences, lol. I’m actually pretty boring; I usually just eat plain cheese pizza. What is your favorite movie?

• useless :)

re: thank you! yeah hehe, plot twist ;)
    and ofc, no problem!! it really was :D
    and have a great...night? i'm not sure what the time difference is from florida to canada. also, it's really cool that u live there! do u get lots of snow where you live? (ahah i'm kinda desperate for cold weather bc yk, florida. it was super hot today and agh, it sucks sometimes XD)
    and this. wow. this is heart wrenching but absolutely beautiful. i'm so sorry for your loss. your grandmother sounds like she was an incredible person :)

Re: Yep haha

Re: Ach tysm! Haha I'm glad; I tried to find the names of the fireworks but "fireworks that sound like rain" didn't come up with many results!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: haha, I agree! YES ARTHUR I WATCHED THAT TOO! XD
    Probably a superhero. What about you? Also, what’s your favorite kind of pizza?

Re: Aw thanks! Haha yeah :P And oh haha no I like your titles! Ty :) <33333

Wow.....this is breathtaking. The beginning is so beautiful and nostalgic, and the end is so sad. I'm so sorry for your loss <3

Re: Tysm! Haha I actually did think of using that exact title, but I thought it kinda gave away the ending. Thanks tho UwU

Re: ^U^

• psithurism

re: Thank you so much! That's so very sweet of you. I can relate, my grandparents used to live on a mountain airpark, and the area was so unique. Many of my childhood memories come from vacations spent there. :)

• psithurism

Oh my goodness, I am so, so sorry for your loss. The way you describe your grandparent's home is so rich and it made me feel like I was there. And that ending, oh gosh, it felt like swallowing a brick. All four of my grandparents are currently experiencing serious health issues, so for the past year I've been really worried about losing them, and I can't imagine the pain you're going through right now. I am praying for you and your family. <3

<3

Woah... This piece started so light and enveloping and nostalgic and then I got chills. Wow.

• gabimarie

re: thank you! i used to struggle with accepting my body, and that was actually something one of my best friends used to say to me on the daily. i always found that it helped me, so i thought i would put it there. so glad you liked it! have an amazing day :)

• Parisienne

Omg Nyla this is gorgeous..wow. one of the best pieces I have ever read on this site. I love how you described their home so beautifully and the sensations there before talking about how it has changed with your grandma being gone. I'm so sorry for your loss, your grandma sounds utterly wonderful. This is so, so stunning - I am certain she would be honoured to have such a gorgeous piece of writing created about her. Take care xo
    Re: thank you for saying about the recording being off-limits, I've updated it so hopefully it will work now (sorry I am so dumb with tech). Enjoy hearing my britishness haha :). Thanks for your sweet comment
    Becca <3

• barelybear

This is crazily good! You’ve created the most amazing series of images, and I felt so immersed. Aw and your hints and gradual peeling away at the end to reveal your Grandmother’s death was so well done. I think this is a really great tribute to her, really soft and beautiful. The ending, especially was really heartbreaking but somehow this incredible summary of loss and finding your feet again.
    Re: wow so when you say you were scared of the track field but you came 6th anyway? I used to have to go to running practice in the mornings (we call it cross country) because my brother really enjoyed it. I actually got kinda decent, but I hated it, and then this kid moved to our school and she was aMazINg. And so I went from 1st/2nd to clear 3rd then 5th, then 10th out of the girls in our year. That was primary, and now I don’t really run so much, just in private at home haha.
    Wow now I’m imagining a guffawing giraffe eating dark chocolate and marzipan...
    Guffaw reminds me of those really posh British race club guys like “Hyahyahya Martin, you are simply hilarious” in the polo jackets and helmets ofc

Huh must be a sad world without Cadbury :p
    But I guess you’ve got good reason to visit the UK a lot ahaha.
    Oh gosh I just gave up on the second cousin thing. I’ve got enough real cousins because my Dad’s two brothers between them have gone through 5 wives. I guess it proves you’ve really got to find the one before you settle down.

What’s so bad about marzipan? The nuts? Yeah okay, almonds aren’t great but marzipan is the best when it’s wrapped in icing on a Christmas cake! Wait do you not have any cobblestone paths? Oop. Gotta say, they’re not so widely used anymore because of heels haha. But we’ve got a few nearby. There’s some on the Christmas Steps (called that because at Christmas, they stream lights between the houses, and it’s all romantic and magical).

I think we all think everyone else has got it easier with school. Especially when you’re actually going through the exams. I think the main thing is that you guys get one exam, all multiple choice, while we ordinarily have to do 5 weeks of exams, with several for each subject agh. But I’ve also heard you get less say on the subjects you have, while we get to pick 3-4 for a levels to study the last year.

Oh no no no, I will absolutely not become a doctor. Science has been the bane of my life for too long now. I look forward to taking my exams in a few weeks then forgetting everything. Jdkdk yuck.
    (Respect to you though haha).

I think for my career I’ll do something where I can travel. Maybe I’ll research the history of some other countries and visit them, then write a book or smth.
    OMG I’M AN OCTOBER BABY TOO!
    Oops hope that didn’t scare you. You never know how all caps comes across. Again, I assure you, I am sane.
    My favourite part was the actual jamboree (we did some sightseeing before and after). Basically there were scouts from far too many countries to count, and we had free roam over the campsite to chat, eat, do activities like climbing or kayaking and swap badges with loads of different people. I think one of my favourite moments was a games night in out sub camp. Everyone was invited to form a massive circle and we shared songs or dances or games (the Mexican contingent got real up close with their dancing, and we all laughed a lot during that one.) It was just this great moment where we were all connected, and I guess I appreciate it even more after lockdown.

Yes yes I suppose “Mastermind” could be one word to describe me. I also accept “Genius,” “Staggering” “Phenomenal” and “All round-great person” :p

Awh he sounds like a nice guy. I’ll send him some love :)
    Hah my parents are both in science but I kinda just went screw that they have two other kids :p

Ahah if there was ever any doubt you were a Canadian, the tests would be marzipan and pancakes for lunch. Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever had that... Except maybe for pudding at school when it’s pancake day.
    Haha I thought it was odd :D
    The cauliflower actually wasn’t too bad though :)

Have a fun morning!

Re- Haha yeah that was the last text I sent. he said it back! <3 :)

• nolongeractive

Re: Thanks so much!!

• nolongeractive

Re: Thank you so much, that means everything to me!! My new piece called 'her' should be out tomorrow, which is kinda about my struggle with my identity or wanting to be a girl or wanted to be stereotypically beautiful and what lesson I learned from that!

• nolongeractive

Re: Thank you so much, and of course!

• nolongeractive

Omg. I mean so so sorry for your loss. I lost my grandma in December and it broke me, so I understand how you are feeling for sure! My deepest thoughts, love, prayers and condolences go out to you and your family, and if you ever need to talk, I am here. I love how you could turn your heartbreak into a beautiful piece of writing and I cannot believe how much courage it took to share; just wonderful work as usual.

Oh omg im so sorry for your loss. omg this is so sad but so heart warming as you describe the events