Anne Blackwood

16
Poet
Singer
Theatre kid
Twin
Disabled (chronically ill)
Suspected autistic
ADHD
Highly Sensitive Person
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Thank you to ~madeline~ and happygiggles for the wonderful reviews!
Everyone, I would love to see some critical comments (I can't be sure if reviews would come in time), especially on my performance! Any little details you can give suggestions on, like my tone, volume, speed gestures, etc. No matter how minuscule or insignificant you think your critique may be, I wanna hear it so I can get some new perspectives.

Originally posted 4/15/2021

To the Young: Concerning the Old (link to performance in footnotes) (important update in the message board)

We demand an apology from those who came before, shaking our misery at them with war-torn eyes. The pieces of history they gave us are whirlwinds of responsibility, and condemnation is second nature as we reflect dread off of our trembling shoulders. But what if we stopped pointing our fingers? What if we respected the battles they fought? What if we opened our arms and said, "Thank you. Thank you for being here first. My heart may be broken, but you gave it a place to land."
    Ancestors are a mystery and family is a puzzle, but they walked this earth first and decided to change it. And change it they did. The world has sprung up so incredibly in their care. Yet they still honor us with the same blessed calling. Molding legacies out of newspapers only to give them away, they have allowed us to hold this living mission when it begs for a new version of hope.
    Sometimes they stand firm in their stories, hands stiff from clutching their dreams to their chests. It's easy to forget their work. We grab at the steering wheel that was entrusted to them and turn it into a carnival. Stars fly around our heads and we fasten them to our eyes, and it's no wonder the steadfast are afraid of change when it burns so... brightly.
    Think of these things as you take on the world. For while it is ever-changing, it has been paved with the heartbeats of our mothers and fathers. They are the wise ones and the base coat of this life; they are the past that lives on into our present. Do not condemn their failures. Humankind is fallible, but it always finds places to grow. The future belongs to us until we hold it no more, so view it with your sight, and carry it with their light.
Performance video: https://youtu.be/GFsD8q4RdiQ

Re: Agreed lol

• V-Rose

Here is the final chapter of Never Really Real!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: aw, thank you, Anne! I’ll miss you too, but I’ll definitely be excited to talk to you again when I get back! :)

• In Which Yaya Writes

Replying: Thanks so much for you advice! I will be taking it. I’m glad you liked my piece!
    Oh, yeah, I always forget you’re sick. How’s that going? And your mom?

• In Which Yaya Writes

Ah, I love it even more! So, since you said you would rather have critical comments than reviews, I’m just taking the questions from the review and putting them here.
    Highlights:
    “The pieces of history they gave us are whirlwinds of responsibility, and condemnation is second nature as we reflect dread off of our trembling shoulders.” I think these two sentences should be separated. They don’t really go together, in my opinion.
    “What if we respected the battles they fought?” I like how you added this— it helps with the abrupt transition!
    “Hands stiff from clutching their dreams to their chests.” Ah, I love this!

What impression does this poem make on you, as a whole? What feeling are you left with at the end: I feel a sort of contented-ness. I feel admiration for people in history, but I also feel... almost angry at the people who point fingers at them. You really know how to get the reader to feel exactly what you want them to, to sway them with your words.
    What’s your favorite line? Why:
    “Sometimes they stand firm in their stories, hands stiff from clutching their dreams to their chests.” I just love this so much. I can totally picture an old woman standing on her porch, holding her hands over her chest. I can picture this perfectly even though it’s only one sentence.
    Are there other ways the poet could use language to help you see or understand something in a new way? (Sensory detail? Metaphor or simile? Unfamiliar phrasing?):
    I do think sensory details would be interesting to see. You have a lot of metaphors and language, but I think if we could really FEEL what was happening this would be perfecto.
    What words of encouragement do you have for this writer as they continue drafting their poem:
    You’re literally the Queen of Poetry. You really could win! I would love to see you do that!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: thank you, Blue!

I really love how you expanded on this! "only to give them away" gave that newspaper part so much more meaning and then the steering wheel part was so cool. I love all the figurative language you've added!
    RE: Awww thank you so much Anne! I'm so glad you thought so!

• WrenBirdWrites

Re: Hehe Thank you :D. Also... Wahh how is it cute?
    * slightly flustered/blushing *