Anne Blackwood

16
Poet
Singer
Theatre kid
Twin
Disabled (chronically ill)
Suspected autistic
ADHD
Highly Sensitive Person
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Hey guys! I missed the expert review, so I'd *really* appreciate some critical reviews (or comments if that's all you can manage) on this piece. Feedback can be about anything, from wording to format to my performance.

Originally posted 4/9/2021

To the Young: Concerning the Old (link to performance in footnotes) (important update in the message board)

We demand an apology from those who came before, shaking our misery at them with war-torn eyes. The pieces they gave us are whirlwinds of responsibility, and condemnation is second nature as we reflect dread off of our trembling shoulders. But what if we stopped pointing our fingers? What if we opened our arms and said, "Thank you. Thank you for being here first. My heart may be broken, but you gave it a place to land."
    Ancestors are a mystery and family is a secret, but remember that they walked this earth first and decided to change it. Molding legacies out of newspapers only to give them away, they have allowed us to hold a living thing when it begs for a new version of hope.
    Sometimes they stand firm in their stories, hands stiff from clutching their dreams to their chests. We grab at the steering wheel that was entrusted to them and turn it into a carnival. Stars fly around our heads and we fasten them to our eyes, and it's no wonder the steadfast are afraid of change when it burns so brightly.
    Think of these things as you take on the world, for while it is ever-changing, it has been paved with the heartbeats of our mothers and fathers. They are the wise ones and the base coat of this life; they are the past that lives on into our present. The future belongs to us until we hold it no more, so view it with your sight, and carry it with their light.
Performance video: https://youtu.be/GFsD8q4RdiQ

• sunshinetea

Re: ahhh oki tyty! And I’ll make sure to edit those capitalizations lol

• one hundred forty-seven

Re: Oh hey, sounds fun. I found the website, and I'm trying to make my siblings and surprise them. Nice, my younger brother just got his permit too. We're both trying to get driving time right now.

• doodleninja

re: thank you SO SO much for your comment and your feedback! i really appreciate it! *virtual hug* <3

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: ooh, okay great! Thank you so much! Yeah, I don’t have really any K-Pop friends except online and my sister, but I’m happy with that! :) I’ll definitely let you know when I get the chance to listen to that song!

• In Which Yaya Writes

Lief Anne, Queen of Poetry, wouldst thee mind to revieweth mine own entry f'r the competition? Thy insight is priceless. In returneth I wouldst revieweth yours twice ov'r!

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: oh okay cool! I haven’t actually heard any of those songs I don’t think. I mostly just listen to BTS...

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: ooh, that’s so cool! I don’t think I’ve heard of that, but I love so many kinds of music! Yeah, mostly K-Pop, but I’ve listened to some other random stuff too. Do you like any K-Pop groups specifically?

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: ooh, of course that counts! That’s so cool! What kinda music are you listening to mostly?
    I’ve been listening to music a lot recently. And watching a video blog series. Not a lot other than that and school.

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: aww, I’m so sorry about that, but very glad you’re better now! I’m well, thank you, but a bit tired. Have you been up to anything fun?

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Hey, Anne! How are you?

Hooray! You chose this one! I really, really hope the judges choose it; it deserves to win! I just have to read this again.

• almost flora kane

re: hahaha, yes he's real. like i mentioned in the piece i hope the crush (and at least the friendship) lasts longer than three-four weeks because it's hard to stay in touch with people right now. he used to have longer hair, but then he cut it all of and it looks more like one of the trendy styles nowadays. he's not super skinny, but he really cares about his physical health. i think he is nice, he's pretty funny, and that makes it a lot of fun to talk to him.

• psithurism

re: Oh wow, thank you so much! I'm glad you like it! :)

• doodleninja

re: it is a weird feeling indeed. thankfully however i have a pretty good outline of what i'm going to do after i graduate (although, of course, who knows what God has in store XD)

• lochnessie

re: oh anne - sending hugs! i'm sorry to hear you're feeling drained or down and i hope you feel better soon okay? remember to take time out for yourself if you need <3

• In Which Yaya Writes

Ah mah gash I just love your poetry so dang much. I love love love reading poetry and speaking it out and rereading it again, even if I’m still new at writing it. I think you did absolutely amazing with this. /srs /g
    I love the line, “Molding legacies out of newspapers only to give them away.” /amazed I know I’m still (kinda) new to poetry and am not great at giving advice, but this section right here: “ What if we opened our arms and said, ‘Thank you. Thank you for being here first. My heart may be broken, but you gave it a place to land.’”
    I wish that you would’ve drawn it out a bit before you say thank you. Repeat, “What if?” A couple times, perhaps. I feel like it’s too abrupt. /trying not to be rude
    I think you did a great job and I hope YOU win!

We’re watching Lost right now so there’s more stuff I want to talk about and I really want to read your pieces I’ve missed so I’ll come back later :)

• doodleninja

re: i'm doing pretty well, praise the Lord! but also mostly pretty busy as i told you. my last day of high school is in a few weeks so you know, feeling excited and anxious and terrified all at the same time XD

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

Review is now pending and should be with you soon (:

• lochnessie

re: thanks for the rec.!
    even from a different pov i like your response haha. that's interesting actually - i thought it was more of a 'x religion supports these beliefs' situation than 'x religion creates/is the source of' which i didn't know about.
    this is going to sound like a super silly question, but it's one i've wondered about before (and i absolutely promise this is just a question not an attack) - if your God loves everyone and is the source of kindness and compassion, why are some beliefs, other religions or, say, sexualities etc. considered sinful (this is only what i've heard hahah) and why should it matter if some people don't believe in God if he does love everyone? some people have told me before that i will go to Hell for not believing in Christianity, or that some of my friends will for being gay or bi or trans. and those attitudes just kind of freak me out and ward me off religion, even though i know this is just some people, because i don't want to be involved with something that can so easily be polarised or used to hurt people. again, i know this is just some people!

so you said that these values come from God himself. but as an atheist what i believe is these qualities and wonderful things about ourselves come from just that - ourselves, and the way we interact with each other - and that we are autonomous beings with a choice in what happens to us and our destiny. deepppp hahahahahahah

and yeah, the politics is a little rough haha - especially in america at the moment it seems lol. i did know that christians can have all different worldviews and political outlooks, but my generalisation on the politics is that the religion as a whole is generally associated with the far-right. (again not at all a challenge, just that this doesn't align with my personal beliefs)

thank you so much for putting up with my massive essay comments, and i hope you had a nice evening! i'm really interested in hearing your opinions, i hope you're okay with this hahahah :)

• lochnessie

re: also (this is not a challenge or anything bad i just wanted to mention this) i really respect how important God is to you and i honestly think a lot of what we both believe to be most important (because of religion or not) overlaps; kindness and caring for others, respecting everyone's differences etc. and i think it's pretty cool that those things are actually similarities even though our outlook on life is very different.

the reason why i wanted you not to feel so distressed by MB's reluctance is that in my opinion, even if someone is not religious they most likely value the same core humanity that binds a lot of religions. personally, my reasons behind my atheism are simply that i believe in these values and not in God specifically although i very much respect this. (also some of the political attitudes surrounding christianity, but that's not really a good discussion topic for either of us and i also can't blame that on the religion itself hahahahahhahahah)

sorry for such a long rambly comment, i hope you didn't fall asleep! this was intended in an absolutely friendly way, so i'm very sorry if anything was incorrect or offensive in any way) <3

• lochnessie

re: ooh what's your favourite book?
    and yeah that's all good and understandable! my concern was only that you were distressed as in upset, because i didn't want you to be upset by MB's beliefs/lack thereof (or anything else lol i hate it when nice people are upset) :) also because i am not religious, i properly apologise for a bit of a lapse in the terminology you discussed haha.

• lochnessie

re: awWw that's so cute everyone say awww
    seriously though it's like you/he stepped out of a novel
    also, i reread your message board and this is going to sound super weird/annoying but please know i don't mean it at all critically - i'm glad you helped MB to understand your beliefs and perhaps adopt them himself, but please don't be distressed that he didn't take to it right away. different interpretations of beliefs shouldn't be scary - just welcome that he didn't/doesn't view life in the same way and try to come to a compromise, like we have! :) (i totally don't mean this to be critical at all please don't worry and i'm sorry if it sounds bad)

• lochnessie

re: aw damn, i was ready to think of ship names! MB?? like... is that his name?
    thanks for clarifying that for me, also! i get what you mean - although i don't share your specific beliefs, there are lots of things and mindsets that are important to me and that i would look for in a partner one day.

• nolongeractive

This is really good and the performance was amazing! I really love the story this piece tells and how it builds off the title so well! Also, I really like the way the piece was organized. It was very well done!

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

Re- Thank you so much Anne! Your Irish was such a nice touch!! I believe you used Google Translate? Please correct me if I'm wrong! (friendly, suggestive) Google Translate doesn't always translate the verbs completely correct, so the words don't always string together as well as they would if other sites were use, but I knew what you were saying, and it was just wonderful! Also, I'll make sure to get a review in for this asap! <3

• doodleninja

your vocabulary and imagery is spot on in this piece! stunning stunning work! it's short and powerful, and i loved your delivery with the hand motions and tone changes. my favorite line: "My heart may be broken, but you gave it a place to land."
    a question for consideration: do you think this generation has done a good job of handling our ancestries and honoring our past? i like how you have a little call-to-action at the end with the imperative "think of these things", and maybe you could expand on how this young generation could view the older :)
    (i would've submitted a review, but i can't find any spare time these days XD hope this comment helped nonetheless! amazing poetry as always! <3)
    (also to make this comment even longer cause why not, just wanted to say: HI! haven't talked to you in a while! i feel like i'm just a ghost floating around wtw now since i hardly post or comment. hope you're doing well! :D)

• lochnessie

re: omg i will absolutely watch this how did i not see this i-
    also wow props to your friend that's some friend telepathy (how do you get excited about something you have nO idea about idek)

• Yellow Sweater

Re: thank you! I am glad your brother was intrigued!

Re: Np! (aaaand that's four)

Re: Awww thank you so much! (oop sorry for three comments)

This is beautiful Anne! Great performance as well!

Re: Ahhh tysm!

• lochnessie

re: also your poor confused friend

• lochnessie

re: haha thanks! this is v. cool also, the flow of it as i can imagine it being spoken is just captivating

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: thanks! :)

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: ugh, interrupted sleep can be so annoying. But I’m glad you’re well; I’m great, thank you! :)

RE: Thank you!! <3

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Hi, Anne! How are ya?

• Yellow Sweater

Re: Thank you so much! I just posted a new version of my poem. Thank you so much for your advice. I tried to incorporate some more pauses and hand gestures, but I still like I went too fast. It's so easy to forget there are line breaks when you are nervous. lol.

• Yellow Sweater

Re: BTW, they will consider it for both prizes, just got confirmation! Best of luck!

• happygiggles (not as active anymore)

i am obsessed with this ahhhh, best of luck!!!!

RE: Thank you- your comment means a lot!

• ~madeline~

Just submitted the review, hope it gets to you soon.

• ~madeline~

I'm going to review now :) I'll try to be critical, but um that's hard soooo...