McK13

Hi :) 14 she/her

I love...

Poetry, Memoirs, Stories (and all literature!)
Labradoodles, Family & Friends
Basketball & Volleyball
Listening to music, watching TV, & sleeping

Joined WTW: 12/30/2020

Thank you so much for 60+ followers!

Hi! Thank you so much for checking out my piece! I just wrote these song lyrics and thought I would publish them to hear all of your thoughts. I tried to think far into the future (around 2035 - wow that feels like such a huge number lol) and imagine what it would be like if I had a daughter and what I would want the world to be like. Anyways, I would really appreciate it if you could leave any feedback of any kind, by commenting or peer-reviewing! Have a terrific day/night :)

If I Have A Daughter

6

(Intro/Verse 1)

Dear future baby girl,
I hope you know, I'll love you to the moon and back, even more than that 
But not everyone is kind, many are cruel
I wish this weren’t the truth
And I wish I could shield you from all the hate
In this huge place but I can’t
Though, it is my job to prepare you for life
So, of course, I'll teach you each and every rule 
Of how to be a woman in this world

(Chorus) 

Ooh, ooh
If I have a daughter
I hope she can walk home at night
Without holding her keys between her fingers
Or looking over her shoulder
If I have a daughter
I hope no man has the nerve to treat her wrong
Or tell her she's only worth
What her body can offer
If I have a daughter
I hope she grows up in a world
Where she can be anything she dreams
And earnings depend on work, not gender
If I have a daughter
Oh, oh, oh, if I have a daughter

(Verse 2) 

Dear future baby girl,
I could comfort you with words, hugs, and of course my love
But I want you to have everything, and eventually
It’ll be time for you to go on your own life journey
And even though I want to be with you the whole way
That's not going to happen, so don’t take me for granted
And when I go, keep our memories so I won’t ever fully leave
Lastly, if someone misses the chance to get to know you, it’s their loss
Cause you'll always deserve to be loved

(Chorus)

Ooh, ooh
If I have a daughter
I hope she can walk home at night
Or looking over her shoulder
If I have a daughter
Or tell her she's only worth
What her body can offer
If I have a daughter
I hope she grows up in a world
Where she can be anything she dreams
And earnings depend on work, not gender
If I have a daughter
Oh, oh, oh, if I have a daughter

(Bridge) 

I don’t want to have those talks about how to leave parking lots
Don’t turn your back, don’t make eye contact
But if I have to, to protect her
Of course, I’m going to
If only there were a place where she could always be safe
I don’t want to have to learn
How to heal her heart after it's been burned
Or how to dry her tears, knowing I can’t lessen her fears
Of course, I’ll do anything for her
But why does humanity continue to accept this as reality

(Chorus) 

Ooh, ooh
If I have a daughter
I hope she can walk home at night
Or looking over her shoulder
If I have a daughter
Or tell her she's only worth
What her body can offer
If I have a daughter
I hope she grows up in a world
Where she can be anything she dreams
And earnings depend on work, not gender
If I have a daughter
Oh, oh, oh, if I have a daughter

(Outro) 

Dear future baby girl,
I hope these wishes of mine
Come true before you arrive
Until then I’ll keep fighting for change
And I won't ever give in to hate
My memories of hurt can't be erased 
But I'll do everything I can so you don't know the pain
Of the hardships in this world 
For far too many women and girls 

• April 7, 2021 - 10:43am (Now Viewing)

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: Yeah it's mainly because in 1st grade I was 32, last in my class, that was my number. And when I tried out for club soccer my assigned number happened to be 32 and when I switched to the team I'm on now I was like 32 it is XD Yeah thanks. I'm the same why I've been starting to write more songs but I can't sing for my life XD And yes, those people are both amazing! (Ironically I was just listening to Alicia Keys :) And yeah, np! That's what I'm trying to do :P And thanks <3

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: Thank you!! And yeah they seem a bit weird to me at least XD Oh lol, that's my brothers lucky number too! :) And yes, the women's team is number 1 for 4 years now :D Thank you!!! Aly is like my role model which everyone thinks weird since I don't do gymnastics.... but she's an amazing person! And yeah, you deserve to know :) He's done some not good things on here that are a bit concerning....and ik you're amazing and I don't want you to be mixed in any of that! :) <3

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: Thank you! That means a lot! And ooh these questions! Love em! Would you want to be notified when they come out? (I have a lot but it will be Thursday/Friday ish...)

The message in this is so powerful and true! "Or tell her she's only worth/What her body can offer" was my absolute favourite line because it just summed up so much in a very poetic way! It's so cool that you wrote this with thoughts of how you would speak to your own daughter. I also love how your chorus deals with the most prevalent issues! The last stanza had some great rhythm!
    RE: Aww well you’re doing an amazing job at it! And no prob! It’s something I always do too- it’s such a hard habit to shake!! But I mean it’s always good to overstate a pronoun than not do it enough (cause otherwise it’ll be confusing!)
    Ah yes, in America you’re getting vaccinated a loot quicker than here! That sounds like so much fun!! And haha yeah, I’m not mad the restrictions but COVID!
    Mmmmmm that sounds soooo yummy and wow so many different kinds!! And aww, I love puzzles! (Especially the really hard ones hehe, but my mum will always spend wayyy more time on them than me and finish them!!)
    Aww thank you!!! And I knowww! Haha nooo, sadly it wasn’t one of those overnight camps- although I’ve always wanted to go to one though! I went to a 3 day leadership camp in grade 6 though (I was selected hehe) and in grade 7 and 8, we got to go on a 3 day retreat for our end of the year trip! (Lol “retreat” sounds a lot fancier than it actually was XD) But I absolutely loved those! And the grade 6 one was with people from all across my province, and I can definitely say you gain much closer friends at overnight camps!
    But I did go to normal day camps for literally my whole childhood- I was an adventurous kid!
    Hahah, I mean I will take all the credit I can ;) Thank you!
    Haha and true! SAMEE!! Because who knows what they’ll do with that information! Need to give them all the information!
    Yes!! And haha, you have to! They’re very yummy! Haha loll, I searched it up to see what photos there would be and loll, all the pictures are so unappetizing! (Or at least the ones Google’s showing me!) But thank you again for being so sweet!
    Haha yeah it is! And ooooh nice! I always love getting together with all my family! And awww that sounds like sooo much fun! Loll sometimes my dad, uncles, and cousins will play cricket or me and my cousins will play soccer and it is just… very aggressive lets say! Haha nobody likes to lose XDDD
    And aww thank youuu!
    HAHA I had fun reading it!! And awww thank youuuu!!! And likewise, great job on getting through this!! *thumbs up*

• kate13

Re: Thanks so much for the really, really nice comment on my op-ed! And I read your reversible poem (I'd never even heard of those, so thanks for introducing me to them!) and it was so, so good. And yes, my fave number is 100% 13 (so few people actually like it because it's supposed to be cursed or whatever so it's cool to meet someone who does haha) :)

• kate13

This is so well written, flows really nicely, and is very impactful to the reader. Not only that, but the calls to actions are super strong, and I agree -- definitely need to be addressed.

• nolongeractive

Re: Thank you so much!!! You are amazing and so kind!

• nolongeractive

I think that this might be one of the best songs I have seen on this platform. It is so deep and meaningful in unexplainable ways, as it captivated with its descriptions of ordinary feelings that often aren't brought up in today's world.

• nolongeractive

Re: Thank you so much, you are amazing!

• Zirong

This is such a sweet song filled with love for your future daughter, and the issues pointed out in this song really need to be addressed asap — even in Singapore, one of the safest countries in this world, I still can’t help looking over my shoulder when I walk at night.