EliathRose

~Elizabeth~
~She/They~
~Christian~

March was a really good reading month for me, apparently.
I crave dialogue about these books, so if you want to talk about them, please don't hesitate to do so... Also, if you have any books that you yourself want to recommend to me or anyone else in the comments, feel free to go ahead! I'm always open to new recommendations and genres!

Reading Wrap-Up February + March 2021 | Book Ratings & Reviews

6
February:
  • The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo 
4/5 Stars | Recommended For: Those who enjoy simplistic, story-telling poetry about the harsh truths of life

The Poet X tells the story of a girl named Xiomara and all of her struggles as the teenage daughter of strict religious parents and the way her race, love life, and religious questioning relates to the rest of her life. The story is told through her own words in the form of freeverse poetry, where she lets out all of her feelings and experiences without the judgement of those around her. Though it is something of a quicker read, it is very eye-opening and leaves the reader with questions and insights on their own life and the lives of those around them. The things that Xiomara experiences are relatable, and there's something very comforting about seeing those things reflected in someone else. Altogether, it is a sweet, suspenseful, and well-organized book.

March:
  • All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr 
2/5 Stars | Recommended For: People looking for a beautifully written historical fiction book

All the Light We Cannot See, set during World War II, follows two storylines: one about Marie-Laurie, a young girl living in France, and another about Werner, a young boy living in Germany. The two stories are told simultaneously, eventually leading up to the moment when they are woven together. The story is beautiful and poetic, though at times it skips around and the timing feels very off. I personally thought that it could have been organized better and that the writer's decision to skip to different moments in time during both of the narratives was a weak one and that more direct language could have made the story easier to follow. I don't regret reading it, however, and the ending invoked a strong emotional reaction in me, which was nice.

• Radio Silence by Alice Oseman
5/5 Stars | Recommended For: Anyone who wants a charming, dramatic story with a gorgeous aesthetic

Radio Silence is about the developing relationship between the main character, Frances, and her friend, Aled, along with the podcast that binds them together. It explores many different identities and experiences and incorporates the characters into the story naturally and comfortably. Dealing with everything from relationships and identities to school and Tumblr fandoms, this is a story that drew me in from the very first page and refused to let me go. One of the big things that struck me about this book was just how absolutely beautiful the whole aesthetic of the book is -- the clothes the characters wear, the descriptions of decoration and art, and the way the characters are fleshed out through these aspects created such vivid images in my head that lingered long after I finished the story. Though it's not the most realistic story by any means, there was something about it that I clicked with and truly enjoyed.

• You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson
4/5 Stars | Recommended For: Those who enjoy typical high school stories

You Should See Me in a Crown follows the story of Liz Lighty, a high school student who cannot wait to leave behind her small midwestern town to go find her own life elsewhere. Full of everything from the typical high school stereotypes and the stress of prom to the struggles Liz faces as a queer Black girl in the place she lives. Though it wasn't the most serious book by any means, it was such a good book to escape into and leave behind the real world for a moment. The thing that I really enjoyed about it was how it retold the typical high school prom-romance story with a much more diverse cast. I felt much closer to the characters than I usually do with a story like that, probably because there were just so many people to relate to in different ways. This was a very sweet and endearing story with a satisfying ending.

• Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey and Check, Please! 2: Sticks and Scones by Ngozi Ukazu
5/5 Stars | Recommended For: People who like sports, baking, vlogging, and supportive relationships between characters
    Check, Please books 1 and 2 tell the story of a college hockey team and the way their support and appreciation for each other grows in all aspects of their lives, whether on the rink or off. The main character, called Bitty, starts off the series as a freshman learning the ways of the older students, and by the end, has had much more experience and is taking the role of the upperclassmen before him. There is something so joyful and pure in these books, and never once did it give me a lot of angst or stress. These were the first graphic novels I have ever read, and I must say, they did a fairly good job of introducing me to the genre in a positive way. One of the most impressive things about these books, in my opinion, was the interaction between the characters and the way their relationships grow as a group, along with the fact that they were able to expand on the main romance that blossomed at the end of the first book without giving it drama and angst. It has moments in which it deals with more serious things, such as the acceptance of LGBTQ+ athletes and the stresses of being reasonably famous, but it comes in easy-to-handle bites that don't overwhelm the reader. I found myself grinning along with the characters' victories and frowning along with their struggles, feeling connected to them as if they were my family by the end. It feels like a love letter to the sport of hockey, and if I remember the author's note correctly, that was its intended purpose.

• The Sound of Stars by Alechia Dow 
2/5 Stars | Recommended For: Fans of dystopia and sci-fi

The Sound of Stars is set in an almost apocalyptical world in which aliens have taken over Earth and are nearly enslaving humans for the purpose of using their bodies as means to travel on the planet. It's up to Ellie, a seventeen-year-old girl from New York, and an alien (or "Ilori," as they are called) named M0Rr1S to save humanity and the world as we know it. I thought that it was a very bold and interesting premise, and that it was executed as well as it could have been. I wasn't too impressed by the entire idea, though, and something about it just didn't interest me as much as it could have. I'm not much of a huge sci-fi fan to begin with, though, so that may have contributed to my feelings about the book. There is also something a little bit strange about inter-racial romances to me as well, which may have also influenced my thoughts on it. With my opinion aside, though, it was really a beautiful story about finding what truly matters and salvaging that even though the world is crumbling down.  

• Scythe by Neal Shusterman
4/5 Stars | Recommended For: Those looking for an intense dystopian/young adult book about morals and duty

Scythe tells the story of two teens, Citra and Rowan, and the things they go through when they are picked to become Scythes. Set in the far future, when humanity has defeated death and can easily regenerate any number of injuries, it is the job of the Scythes to keep the population down by "gleaning" different people at supposed random. As Rowan and Citra train, however, conflict comes in the form of corrupt groups inside the Scythedom that need to be taken care of. I enjoyed how introspective this book is and how it delves into the training and outlooks these people have to have in order to truly prepare themselves to be literal carriers of death. It really shows the whole range of philosophies and outlooks different people could have on the job if it truly existed. I do wish, however, that the main characters were more fleshed out, as it almost just felt as if they were there to let the reader experience the story through (though at the end, their personalities did become more explained, which I appreciated). 

• Heartstopper by Alice Oseman
4/5 Stars | Recommended For: Anyone wanting a fluffy, romantic escape from the real world

Heartstopper is about the developing relationship between Charlie, an openly gay Year 10 student at a British all-boys school, and Nick, a kind and compassionate rugby player attending the same school. That's pretty much it. It's a very sweet and fast story (of course, I have only read the first one, so I cannot say how the rest of the story goes), and I am very eager to continue it. I never expected that I would be reading three graphic novels in one month after refusing to read one for years, but I don't regret any of it. This book is gorgeously illustrated and won't fail to make you smile. 

*All my personal opinions*

If anyone has read or wants to read any of these books, I would love to talk about them!

• April 9, 2021 - 11:05am (Now Viewing)

• A. Penderwick

Re: Yeah, I really love Acevedo's writing. I believe she also does slam poetry, though I've never checked that out.
    Albertalli did "Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda" and "Leah on the Offbeat", and a few others. There quick and light, so they're fun summer reads.
    That's really funny about Unwind! I have a few more books I want to finish before I start it, but I'm looking forward to it.
    I'm glad you wrote this, because I love talking about books! :)

• A. Penderwick

I love this, the idea and the way it's written. I've read/looked at quite a few of these books, so prepare for a long comment...
    The Poet X is wonderful, I think Elizabeth Acevedo is such a talented author. Have you read her other books? Clap When You Land is also told through poetry, but her other one, With the Fire on High is told through prose, though it's equally as good.
    I once check Radio Silence out from the library, but didn't have time to read it, though it sounds really good(and your description was amazing). Have you read other books by that author? I haven't but I think a friend recommended one of her books to me.
    I completely agree with everything you said about You Should See Me in a Crown, it was a lovely read. Thinking about it now, it sort of reminds me of Becky Albertalli's books; it has a similar light hearted feel, and a queer main character.
    Now, Scythe is one of my favorite dystopian books of all time. Have you read the rest of the trilogy? If not, you definitely should. The books keep getting better, and they get darker and gritter as well. The second book ends on the most explosive cliffhanger of all time, and I finished it as he was still writing book three. I had to wait months for it, and it was painful. I also own another series by him(Unwind) that I'm hoping to read soon. Have you read those? If so, what did you think?

• JACOB HOUSTON

The rhymes are so comfortable to read and I love the idea so much!

ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE! ahhh
    and radio silence and scythe piqued my interest! love this compilation (now i wanna do this!)

Re: I unfortunately don't have any bookstores at a reasonable distance, so most of my books are online (or the rare trips I get to make). However, I shall look up a few of them. Radio Silence and You Should See Me In A Crown seem interesting, but all of them have nice summaries. Thanks for letting me know!

All these books sound super interesting! I was wondering, where do you get them?