Anne Blackwood

16
Poet
Singer
Theatre kid
Twin
Disabled (chronically ill)
Suspected autistic
ADHD
Highly Sensitive Person
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

Can you guys please tell me what your favorite poems of mine are so I can narrow down my search for what to enter to this competition? This includes the few spoken word poems I've posted; To the Young: Concerning the Old, A Poet Is What I Am, The Poetry of Life, and I think there might be another one I'm forgetting about. I'm leaning towards entering a spoken-word piece since I'd have a bit less competition that way, but I also have less experience in that style. Please read those pieces if you haven't already and tell me if you think I should enter one or if I should choose a written poem.
Also, are we allowed to enter a poem that was entered into the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards?

Originally posted April 5, 2021

left behind | detached (request in message board)

18

the world has fallen victim
to a virus of the soul,
feeding the grief and emptiness
that invade each pocket of isolation.

yet i am sheltered away
from all of it.
unaffected, numb.

my own horror begins to circle
around something more personal
than global chaos.

illness fights battles within my body,
claiming a victory
that lasts longer
than any quarantine can.

when this planet heals,
i will watch as each person flies away,
while my heart is tied to
weakness chronic
and loneliness complete.
This poem isn't what I came to write, but each line unfolded into something far greater than today's temporary apathetic confusion.
(Please don't pity me. I promise that I have joy and hope and wonderful things. I'm just sharing this part of my story.)

• almost flora kane

re: i’m so glad you liked it! i didn’t know if anyone was going to catch that detail, so it makes me really happy that you did:) and marisol actually recommended mitzi, i’ve never heard the name before. it’s a german nickname for maria upon further research, and i thought it sounded cool haha

This is another amazing poem! The ending, when you describe seeing other people flying away and you staying just is so emotional. And a virus of the soul- perfect! And also, I know you said not to pity you but good on you for sharing this, I know a lot of people feel the same way!
    RE: Of course!!! And aww thank you so much (and no worries if you can't end up doing it- it's the thought that counts after all <3)

• V-Rose

Re: Exactly! And I like getting things done. I clean just to clear my head. But tell me to do something I want to call boring and I will just... groan through it.

• V-Rose

Re: I don't even know if I'd have the patience for that! I don't have patience for much prettying up things. Reading, I have time. Writing, I have time. Painting my nails and such... waste of time! I could be doing something productive! That's my thought process.

• ~wildflower~

Re: thank you so much for your kind words and feedback! I’ve never done spoken word before so it’s really helpful :) And haha, I’m overwhelmed by the number of people who like my accent! I’ve only been overseas once to New Zealand where the accents are reasonably similar to mine, so I always forget that I even have one! Thanks again <3

• V-Rose

Re: Made me feel nice but it reminded me why I never do it. It takes forever and a year to dry!

• V-Rose

Re: I don't much care for makeup but I did paint my nails the other day, so I guess I can relate to the 'pretty-feeling'.

• V-Rose

Re: Hiya! I'm good! Letting life drag me around and tell me to get stuff done as I ignore her and read! How about you?

"Virus of the soul..." I feel like that has so much meaning. Another fabulous poem!
    I personally adore "To the Young: Concerning the Old." One of my favorites.

Re: Thanks! I kinda wanted to reformat and add/delete a couple things, maybe see what more relevance or metaphors I could add... ill take thoughts or critique if you have em but dont feel pressured :)

• WrenBirdWrites

<3

• one hundred forty-seven

Hey Anne, you up for a chat?

Re: Which one do you think I should edit and use for the competition? if i were to enter that is...

• ~madeline~

Re: Definitely! I'll keep my eye out :)

• ~madeline~

Re: Awesome! Thanks! Lemme know if you want a review in return :D

• ~madeline~

Re: tysm :)

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: aw, thank you too! :)

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Okay, wow.... amazing amazing job with this piece!!! Second, hmmm.... I really loved To the Young: Concerning the Old, but your poetry is so great in general that whatever you enter will be #Fantastic!
    Good luck with your entry! I actually just sent in one of my pieces for the Expert Review. :)

• ~madeline~

First of all, I really like this poem! Second, I think I remember really liking Alloy (I think it was called that) And lastly, I know we haven't talked much recently, but I was wondering if you would watch my video of my spoken word piece for me? I haven't done spoken word before and I know you have so I thought maybe you could give me some pointers. No pressure of course, just a thought :)

• Kate (Kit-Kat Sully) {Child of God}

Re: Alrighty, I'll be praying!

• almost flora kane

i'm so glad you chose to share your perspective on the goings-on of today and the past, since i don’t think many connect different people's experiences to the general issues. it's really powerful!
    re: your comment meant a lot to me. i'm really glad to hear your perspective on that as well, and you're definitely very relevant and getting the right vibes from it. at this point i'm very aware of the toxicity of the situation and keep trying to think of ways to get away without completely fracturing my personal friend circle. so my occasional anger with everything bleeds out into poetry, which at least that's a plus. so thank you for having some concern. i promise i'm trying to distance myself from the bad stuff:)

Re: Np :)

• Yellow Sweater

So powerful! I definitely relate. As the pandemic starts to slowly get better. I feel like i am staring into even more of a void. Because, in some ways, with the pandemic, society is sort of "Chronically ill." Not in the same way of course, but like when in-person classes start I still probably won't be able to go back! I am sorry, that was total ramble. I am just feeling displayed, unsure of my place, and a little dizzy. You captured that feeling so well! thank you!

Re: Thank you so much for the advice. I will definitely try to do that more when I re-record.

Re: Ummm...the latest one? XD

I liked the one that won the scholastic award. i dont think they have a rule against that..

• BriRiley

Ooo, the bogging really hooked me! I love how chill this is while telling such a big part of history!

• Kate (Kit-Kat Sully) {Child of God}

Replying: Ok, will do. Is there anything specifically I can pray for you about?

• Kate (Kit-Kat Sully) {Child of God}

LMK if you need any prayer!