Figwit [HIATUS]

Ars longa, vita brevis

~old friends fade away//starlight at the break of day//never forget them~

I write to let out the demons in my mind

INFP-T
Artist

“Memory is not what the heart desires; that is only a shadow.” — J. R. R. Tolkien

"If I am really part of your dream, you'll come back one day." - The Alchemist

remember the stars for me

Alaia Quin Pt. 2

3
Bob and Newbie tripped over themselves to get to the door, letting it slam shut behind them. For a long moment, there was absolute silence. I think you could’ve heard a bug sneeze. 
“Do bugs sneeze?” I asked. “Cause I was just wondering if-”
“Quiet.” 
I shook my finger at the bodyguard who’d spoken. “That’s rude. Didn’t your mother teach you any better?” The man’s eye twitched. Wow. I’d never made a person’s eye twitch before. I mentally crossed it off my bucket list. The men advanced a few steps, so I sat down in my chair and waited for them to talk. If I’d wanted to, I could’ve sat still almost indefinitely, but that would only ruin my facade. I jiggled my knees up and down as I waited for them to talk. 
This was seriously weird. I chanced a glance at the man who appeared to be in charge, only to find him staring intently at me. Okaaaay. That’s not creepy at all. 
Finally, he spoke. “So, you’re the one they call Nil.” His voice was melodic, soft, and mesmerizing; so much so that I didn’t process what he’d said for a few seconds. Then, I went completely still. This was a lot more serious than I’d thought. I opted for confidence. 
“Uh, you caught me? Is this the part where you sentence me to a life in prison?” I was proud of how I sounded: completely in control and utterly fearless. About as far as you could get from the truth. Nil wasn’t my real name; my mother would’ve had to be a lot meaner than she was to name me that. No, Nil was the name I’d chosen when I joined the Night Blades. The name was a little melodramatic, but we made up for that by being super good at what we did. There was a little less burning, pillaging, looting, and razing nowadays, but we were essentially pirates. A few of the more notorious members, like me, Scythe, Raith, and Zen, were known by our aliases, but no one could connect those names to us. So, for this man to know it was a really, really big deal. 
The man smiled. “You sound exactly like I imagined.”
That upped his creep factor by about 150%. 
“No,” he continued. “You won’t be going to prison. Not if you cooperate with us, and while I know that will be difficult for someone with your temperament, I assure you, we have your best interests at heart.” 
Uh, cue dramatic music while the intrepid heroine decides whether or not to join the villain. While my brain knew this dude was almost certainly one of those super-powerful-villain-with-an-agenda types, I didn’t really want to go to prison. 
I flicked a hand at him. “That’s what they all say. Can you prove it though?” 
The man threw back his head and laughed. For a good thirty seconds. I scowled at him. “I think I like you, Nil. Just be careful not to let your tongue run away from you.” 
“Don’t worry.” I gave him a saccharine smile. “I learned that already. Loose lips sink ships and all that jazz.” 
“I suppose when you’re a pirate, keeping your ship afloat is paramount.” He gave me a thoughtful glance. “You’ll do very well.” He rose abruptly and exited the room. The two bodyguards followed almost instantly, one placing a water bottle in front of me without so much as a glance. 
Ugh. This was an absolute nightmare. I had no idea what had happened to the rest of my team. It was supposed to be a simple mission: get it, get the target, get out. No one gets hurt, no one gets compromised. The next thing I knew, flashing lights and sirens were everywhere. Now I was sitting in an interrogation room, just having talked to a man who probably had enough information to bring the Night Blades down. Not that I couldn’t survive without the Night Blades, but all the signs pointed to a betrayal. No successful criminal organization was run without extreme loyalty, and ours was no exception. All problems, no solution. 
I glanced at the plastic bottle. The water was perfectly clear, but the seal was broken. I seriously doubted they had innocent reasons for tampering with my drink. In fact, they probably wouldn’t even bother with it if they didn’t have nefarious reasons. It was equally clear that I wouldn’t be leaving the room until I drank it. 
This was pretty much any criminal’s worst nightmare: separated from your team, caught by the cops, and offered a deal of unknown specifications by an equally unknown man with serious power. 
Well, it wasn’t like they were giving me much of a choice. With a philosophical shrug, I reached for the bottle and downed it in two gulps. I grimaced at the metallic taste, but before I had a chance to gripe, my vision blurred and my eyelids turned to lead. 

Word count: 830

• nolongeractive

This is so amazing and I love the idea so much, it is really cool! I am obsessed with the word choice in this and I cannot get over your talent! I cannot wait to see what else you write!

• Ava Marie

Re: thank you!!!

RE: Aw of course! :) And ooh interesting- yeah I tend to write more poetry as well (recently anyways) but writing longer passages is so much fun! I hope you continue because it is turning out really nice! And hahah loll, yeah, its kind of nice to make characters act or say things you might not normally do (or maybe you would, I don't know you! XD Although I do assume you would be nice- as you are right now :)

"Okaaaay. That’s not creepy at all." was loll. I love how this character just says what she's thinking, it makes it really interesting to see what she thinks. Also, the way you said "it was supposed to be a simple mission" that was just ingenious because you filled the reader in on the backstory so quickly that it wasn't boring and still leaves a lot up to the imagination- awesome! And the ending- wow, what a way to close. I loved reading this, thanks for letting me know!
    RE: Awww you're so sweet and I'm so glad! And aww don't say no pressure, I literally asked you to let me know. And aww of course! :)