Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

Escapril

9
1-Ego 
Reading essays out loud. A habit developed out of necessity. Ideas are nothing without shape. Conclusion. Introduction. And three pieces of evidence between. Even intellectuals must eat their vegetables. 

Desiring contours. A Green-Smoothie-California-Sun-Wrinkled-Corpse-Body. Making a shape. A slut. A tease. A tightlaced spinster with a stick up the ass. Giving life to a dead thing. What language does. Resurrection. Stereotypes. 

An ego the size of a balloon. Popping. Fast. Body disintegrates. Slowly. Imaginary blood between.  
I have decided to participate in Escapril. For those of you who aren't in the know, every day of this month a new prompt is posted on the official Escapril Instagram. I will publish all of my Escapril poems on the same post. Each one will be titled with the day of the month and that day's prompt. For example the first poem is titled: 1-Ego.

These poems are going to be cheesy and experimental and forced, so please forgive me.

• April 3, 2021 - 12:27am (Now Viewing)

I really like this, it flows so naturally but includes so much and it's a really unique take on this prompt. I don't think this is cheesy at all! You utilize simple sentences really well in this.
    I just read my first Tejun Cole essay (I bought a collection of his essays) and you're right, he writes so beautifully. But and I feel bad about this, sometimes I don't really understand all he's talking about- same with poetry. Is understanding the more complex thoughts and diction something that comes with age, or do only some people understand it? I've always been able to read and understand high-order thinking and books but now it feels like I can't and I don't know, it makes me feel a bit dumb. And your writing is so well-written as well (now that I've read Cole, it reminds me of his writing as well) but every time I try to write in that style, it comes out all juvenile. I guess what I'm asking is, do you understand those texts and are able to write like that as you get older? Or is it something you've just always been able to? Or is there like some starter book (what these literary terms mean XD)?
    RE: Of course!
    And aww thank you so much! I’m currently playing around with a few pieces and will hopefully post something else soon!
    Also, ahh, sorry for this but you're gonna get a notification that I'm following you again. I must have accidentally clicked the unfollow button while I was on my phone sometime.

• daisiesonfilm

re: i'm glad you're enjoying escapril :D ! thank you also so much for the compliments on my poem, it means a lot